Thursday, July 25, 2024

Communication in the Twilight Zone

 The English language has fascinated me for a long time.  I wonder if all languages have their own little quirks that drive people nuts when trying to learn that language.

The other day two phrases came into use next to each other in an email exchange I was having.  "Play it by ear" and "Fly by the seat of your pants".  Basically they both mean the same thing.  Both describe ways to approach things that "come up" unexpectedly during one's day.  Not sure which expression I like better and I have no idea how they came to mean what they mean.   I just know that one is related to music and one to flying a plane.  Hmmm... I just hope I never have to explain either to someone who is learning English as a second language.

I think maybe I will just stick with other phrases like "wing it", "go where the wind blows", "hang on to a wing and a prayer", or "speak off the cuff", and be thankful that English is my native language and I am used to its idiosyncrasies -- its "off the wall", sometimes "too much" characteristics.  

Sometimes I wonder how we ever communicate effectively with each other. People need to try hard to maintain a healthy sense of humor through it all. A good sense of humor especially helps when one is entering the Twilight Zone of communicating through the "smoke and mirrors"  and "dog and pony shows" of an election year.

Okay, "I will show myself out" now.

No comments:

Post a Comment