Thursday, July 4, 2024

Garage Sale

Anyone who has ever had a garage/yard sale knows that it is a lot of hard work.  There is digging out, sorting, cleaning, pricing, etc. and... the aftermath.

So anyway ... my son, daughter-in-law and I are planning on having such a sale next week while they are "home" for a visit. My daughter's family and other close "partners in crime" are also involved.  It will be a happening.  My son is determined to clear his "stuff" out of my basement.  Just recently six large tubs of Homer Simpson (still in the box) collectibles and a tub of hockey and basketball cards went off with an expert who sells such things online on a commission basis.  Yay!  It's a start.  That leaves odds and ends of his growing up, including his '80's baseball card collection, along with some of my "treasures".  I have an old desk, a mended futon, three of my grandma's dining room chairs, an old trunk that lacks a key at the moment and assorted leftover toys from young grandchildren. I know we will find a ton of other things in the actual garage as well, and ... I need to remember to check my small barn. As for my daughter -- she may have a few things but I think most of her treasures are now to be found in her own basement. Plus she is way better about not hanging onto things "just in case".

Now here's the thing.  I have two rules for garage sales.  First -- nothing comes back into the house.  Nothing.  Second -- there is always a large Free pile that grows toward the end of the sale (that helps with rule number one.)  Here's hoping for a nice weather day or two. We are thinking of running the sale rain or shine next Thursday (11th) and Friday (12th).

I have no idea what I am going to do with an empty basement. About the only things that will be left there are two rocking chairs, wedding dresses, canning jars in waiting for harvest season, two empty bin warehouses, some Christmas decorations, and dog crates for visiting pets. I suppose I could dance there and have room for twirling....  Picture that....  More likely though is that the spiders will just take over in between basement cleanings that are few and far between.  The spiders have been trying for years to claim that area.  I care less and less... may even let them win for a while.

Stop by if you are in the area... maybe bring a truck.


No comments:

Post a Comment