Thursday, March 17, 2022

Phil Silvers and spelling ...

 

Okay… so… this morning I was spending some time on my usual morning treat -- an acrostic puzzle -- and the first prompt was “Comic creation of Phil Silvers: 2 wds.”.  Immediately the words Sgt. Bilko crashed to the forefront of my mind.  Now why I can remember that and not how to spell the “official” color of my Jeep Wrangler (Mojito) is beyond me. And that is just one thing of many that I cannot remember.

Now the thing is - and I often bring this up when talking to other Boomers when it seems applicable…  I read a long article about this forgetfulness issue.  I reassure you (and me) that this phenomenon has nothing to do with neurological damage or disease, so don’t bother to look up things like Dementia and Alzheimer’s …  at least not right this minute.  The occurrence described in the first paragraph is called benign forgetfulness.  Have I written about this before?  I forget benignly.  Anyway – it is a normal thing and may be a teeny bit age related, but certainly nothing to be concerned about.  There is normal forgetfulness and not normal forgetfulness.

There are those who believe, myself included, that sometimes our brains are just simply on overload.  We live in a fast-changing world and there is a lot coming at us and that doesn’t just mean electronically.  If you doubt this – just picture yourself standing in your kitchen trying to get everything ready for dinner with a whole bunch of family or group of friends standing around taking, laughing and engaging with you while you are trying to time the potatoes so that they get done at the same time as the meat.  Then to complicate things even further – add in that you are using two ovens, a range, a microwave and an air-fryer that no one seems to know how to use except your grandkids – so you put them in charge of at least that much.  Oh – don’t forget there may also be a crock pot involved as well. It’s an exhausting juggling act to even think about, let alone do. It is hard to keep every single thing right at the tip of your tongue and sometimes impossible to sort out all the conversations going on at once. And… that is just one scenario. I am thinking that you could add to the list in fine fashion.  I mean – just think about making holidays special and all that entails.  I mean -- that preparation takes months. 

I don’t know about you, but I am thinking that rather than worrying about forgetting whether or not the door is locked, that we might be better off thinking about all the things we did remember to do.  I do so love a good list with everything checked off neatly. (I do remember that I have written about making lists before.) Now if I could remember where I put my favorite pencil… and my list making paper… I would be all set. Priorities....

No comments:

Post a Comment