Thursday, February 24, 2022

Trying to keep it on the light side...

 

From Pencil Box to Keyboard has been a bit on the serious side lately.  Bummer. I was looking back over the topics and realized, that, once again, the serious topics have moved in and brought their heavy, dreary belongings with them.  I used to be more fun.  I miss that.  I want to return to the days of writing about light “stuff” – like list making, purses, Hershey Kisses, Snow Brownies and things that make you forget the heavy issues – if only for a few minutes.

With that in mind - I briefly considered telling you about cleaning my garbage disposal this week.  It was impressive and easy… and this time I didn’t need to have it replaced when I was done.  Then again... I also reorganized my pantry… an adventure of sorts. Or – I could tell you about spending a wonderful afternoon with my remarkable granddaughter in my basement going through old albums and boxes of black & white photos of unnamed grim faced ancestors with startlingly unusual and unattractive hats. My granddaughter asked why no one smiled back in the day.  That reminded me that there was a time when she thought the world used to be black and white.  Guess I have a lot of old photos around. 🥴  Anyway ... I have to mention that these albums and photos smelled very bad – sort of tonsil-grabbing if you know what I mean. It isn't a project that you want to spend too much time doing.  These albums and photos also reminded me that I should take the time to write names on the back of my photos – you know… for future generations. They also “tell” me to forego hats and to smile more.

To continue in the photo line of thinking – I noticed a while back that I didn’t have any photos that I could hold in my hands.  I think I went digital without being totally aware of it.  I saw my camera in a drawer in my laundry room just the other day and wondered for a moment what it was. Anyway – realizing that I didn’t have any “real” photos, I figured out (with the help of my brilliant daughter) how to transfer the digital ones from my phone to my pc and from there to one of those sites on a cloud somewhere unknown in the universe that will print them for you.  Ta Da. Magic. Anyway – in no time at all, I suddenly had 358 hands-on real photos in a little basket on my coffee table.  Many who have been to my house have spent time looking through them – real photos – sort of a rarity.  A blast from the past. Alas… I haven’t’ written any names on the back of them – yet.  Maybe next week…. 

The original title of this blog was "Ugly Hats and Grim Faces..." I changed it after waking up this morning to the news of Russia attacking the Ukraine... an event both ugly and grim.

                These are difficult times to be sure.  Hope we all find many good things today -- things to smile about. We have so much for which to be thankful this February morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment