Sunday, February 20, 2022

O Canada!

 

Who hasn’t had their eye on our neighbors to the north for the past few weeks – if for no other reason than to see how much Justin Trudeau’s hair has grown? 

I have always loved Canada and every Canadian I have ever met. I care about Canadians.  Living so close to the US/Canada border, it was once easy to travel back and forth.  For me it was a relatively short jaunt to the Peace Bridge and Ta Da – lovely Canada.  I have seen Niagara Falls from the Canadian side many times, and Toronto – so nice.  I love Montreal as well – even considered applying to McGill University at one point in time.  Figured I could practice my French while studying other “stuff”, but they didn’t offer the program I wanted. Quebec City is beyond description – in all good ways. Once I even flew from Toronto to Calgary, Alberta (I shopped at a memorable Hudson Bay Company department store there.), and then – took a train from Calgary to Vancouver, British Columbia – across the Rocky Mountains. Amazing.  By the way – 8 days in Vancouver is not enough – so much to do and to see.  Stanley Park is one of my faves. Then there is that I have always felt safe in Canada.  I have always loved that about Canada.

It pains me to see today, however, that instead of staying in town and talking with people at the very start of the Freedom Convoy, the Prime Minister of Canada has put on big heavy boots and taken it upon himself to threaten to take people’s children away from them, kill their pets, confiscate their money and property, invalidate the licenses they need to work, arrest them, etc.  Who knows what other devious plans he will devise to crush freedom? His actions have gone way past the skullduggery of politics and the expected hubris of power hungry “leaders”.  I fear that hard-working Canadians must feel like they are trapped in the Chateau Frontenac with a madman behaving like Jack Nicolson in The Shining. And why? Unlike the devastating destruction of personal property done by US protestors (actually rioters and vandals) who were encouraged by the liberal far left, these were peaceful protests that we witnessed in Canada – something that a free people are allowed…or used to be. If this travesty can happen in Canada, it can happen anywhere and … it is. Shameful….

It’s past time to take a close look at the festering, spreading infection of the “woke” and of those leaders who believe themselves to be above the law. This infection is insidious.

Then again maybe there is hope … at least in the United States … are we seeing signs of the woke turning in on and eating itself?  I just hope that those who take over are less hateful and not as power hungry… that they encourage respect for differing opinions and do not deny freedom of speech… that they actually make positive change and remember who they represent. Power over others can be a dangerous and devastating thing.  Lucky for us that Americans have elections - often. Trudeau has been in power since 2013 and will remain there apparently at least until 2025.  It works differently in Canada than in the United States. Trudeau could be there for a very long time.  O Canada! My heart goes out to you. Let Freedom Ring!     

Ephesians 4:32

No comments:

Post a Comment