Thursday, August 4, 2016

Mouse in the House

Nothing does a better job of startling me than a snake in the grass -- unless, of course, it is a mouse in the house.  I so dislike them and... their crunchy little droppings. Now -- I know that a mouse is a very small critter, hardly a worthy adversary,  but... a mouse has a way of darting about that catches a person off guard -- sort of heart stopping.   I have found, from personal experience, that a swooping bat has the same effect. Anyway -- I encountered a mouse in the early Spring while rummaging through my pantry. (I saw the tail first). That mouse no longer lives with me --- or anywhere for that matter, and... my sister recently found herself eye to eye with one as it was dashing about on her kitchen counter while she was making coffee in the wee hours of the morning. What a way to start the day! Eek! (Why is it that I find it funny to picture her dealing with her mouse and not funny at all when I think of my recent encounter with one? I don't know. It is something to ponder.)

 -- Back to the mouse.  When my sister met hers, she (my sister) beat a hasty retreat to the upper region of her home.  Now here is the thing -- I know, from personal experience that a mouse can climb stairs.  She probably knows that too, but when startled, a person may not think of that. Such an experience tends to dull logic (as well as impede breathing).  

It's all over now. She survived beautifully.  Her mouse is gone in a most similar manner to mine, and her kitchen has been scrubbed from top to bottom.  If I know her (and I do), she probably even cleaned the inside of the drains in the kitchen sink -- just in case. I have done that. I admit it freely.

The best part of the story though is the reaction of my funny, cool, calm and collected brother-in-law who, upon hearing of the invasion, quietly asked, "Does this mean that we have to move now?"  Perfect.  

No comments:

Post a Comment