Thursday, August 25, 2016

Just had a birthday...

I think that I am officially a senior citizen now.  Actually I think I probably have been there for a while and it is just dawning on me that I am now considered to be an elder. I have always adjusted to change slowly and with more than a little foot dragging. But -- here I am.  I just didn't know I would get here so quickly. I find myself wondering if people realize that elders really aren't as wise as younger people sometimes assume them to be? It is somewhat of a hoax actually, but one not perpetrated intentionally.  I think younger people just like thinking that someone will know what to do.  True -- sometimes experience is a help -- but other times -- not so much.

Related to this older person phenomena... I remember my Mom talking to me about feeling much younger inside than she actually was.  It was often surprising to her to that she was chronologically a certain age when she felt so much younger.  I get that now. About the only time I feel my age is when I get up in the morning or have sat in a chair too long. (I am thinking that some of you may get that.) Anyway -- I was talking to a peer at a luncheon just this past week, and when I mentioned that idea to her -- she totally got it.  Yep -- there is a certain bond between people of a certain age.  I call it a survivor bond. We have been there, done that...and lived to remember it. 

So -- it's a perfect time, once again, to focus on the positive. Therefore -- today I am going to attempt to list just some of the advantages of my age as a way to celebrate my ... maturity.

  • I basically can do whatever I want to do, as I have taught myself to say "No", but ... thank you for asking".
  • I can purchase new clothing based on the comfort level and the softness of the fabric. 
  • I can wear whatever I want on my feet.
  • I can slug around all day in my favorite old ratty clothes whenever I feel like it, and... even sleep in them at times if that seems more convenient.
  • I don't have to lift heavy stuff - ever.
  • I don't have to run except in an emergency.
  • I can ignore the phone or do the "guilt free hang up" on nuisance callers.
  • I can honestly say -- "Sorry, I must not have heard you when you asked me to do that" ... or "I should have written that down -- can't believe it slipped my mind".

I know that the list could be a lot longer.  I am counting on you to add to it in the comments that you are so kind to share with me.  There are so many good things about this stage of the game. I just can't think of them all at this moment.  If you can think of even one advantage to add, that would be perfect. It will do all us (of a certain age) a lot of good. Thank you.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment