Thursday, September 1, 2016

Subtlety -- no explanation needed.

Recently a very good friend of mine was describing an unfortunate exchange that she had experienced in a nail salon.  I won't tell you exactly how she described her annoyed self, just that she recounted at the end of the tale -- that she was quite certain that the salon in question now had her photo behind the counter. When we were in touch later on in the day and she was talking about an upcoming appointment with a dentist, I felt it necessary to offer the caution that I know for a fact that some doctors use red flags on patient folders, and although these particular doctors are veterinarians, she needs to be extremely careful.  Of course... I am sure that she was exaggerating the nail salon situation for my amusement, but...  the subtlety of her comment is so perfect, and it got me to thinking about how much I love it when people imply in this way. 

The funny thing about this conversation is that I had just encountered the same type of humor in a book I was reading by Stephen King. (I love the work of Stephen King).  Anyway -- He was describing a character in this story, and at the end of a scene in which this character is talking to his partner, King wrote, "His eyes flick up and to the left".   Later on (before I could even finish my bowl of cereal) King described a situation as being "like the mafia...every time I think I'm out, it pulls me back in".  (That is actually exactly how I feel about laundry, by the way.)  Perfect.

Now that I think of it, the subtle reference or implication is one of my favorite things -- either for effect or more importantly -- for humor. My favorite comedians just drop a comment on you and hope you get it and ... I must mention ... sometimes I have a rather delayed reaction before I do -- if I don't miss the point entirely.  Real life, literature, comedians -- when subtlety is employed, and I do "get it", it makes me feel like I now belong to the special club. Actually this may be the closest I ever get to feeling like I belong at the cool kids' lunch table.  

You know what I mean. Subtlety, implication -- whatever you prefer to call it -- is especially nice when you come upon it unexpectedly and no one explains it to you.  You just "get it".  If you run across an incident like this, please share it with me. No explanation necessary.   Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment