Thursday, June 9, 2016

Scammed! Not a good feeling.

You think you have a handle on things.
You think you are alert.
You think it could not happen to you.
You find out you are wrong.
You feel stupid and vulnerable.
You find out you are not alone.

To make a long story short.  I thought I was dealing with a company that provided support for Microsoft in the form of anti-virus/optimization, etc.  -- not those guys who call you with the phone scam ... other guys.  I called them first -- a few months ago. Anyway -- they had control of my computer supposedly working to solve an ongoing issue that I was having with their software, and when I refused to give them my bank information, they blocked me from access to my own computer by setting their own password, and... they hung up on me. I discovered this when after deleting all their software, my computer would not allow me access. Interestingly -- they have since called back twice trying to regain access to my computer once again. Needless to say, I replied with an emphatic "no".  (There are times that "...giving someone a second chance is like giving them another bullet for their gun, because they missed you the first time.")  I told them to send me a check to refund what I had paid for the anti-virus/tech support, etc. They said they would. I don't believe them.

The aftermath -- over three hours of working with a wonderful support technician who works with the manufacturer of my computer, got me back in business, but I lost everything on my computer -- everything except the things I didn't even know that I had on a cloud and that wasn't much. Now a few days later -- having reinstalled my software and reconnected with my email provider, I am back in business -- sort of, but the whole experience still stings, and I am extremely thankful that I did not have any financial information stored on my hard drive and that I was able to block them from ever charging anything on the credit card number that I had used with them. 

I guess I am writing this to say that if this type of thing has happened to you -- I know how you feel.  

What I am wondering is what goes on in the minds of people who make a living taking advantage of those of us who trust and expect to be treated as we treat others? I guess I should know better at this stage of the "game".  I am disappointed.



No comments:

Post a Comment