Thursday, June 16, 2016

Dilly Beans and the Demise of the Disposal


Why is it that homeowner "troubles" seem to arrive in clumps?  I recently noticed that not only does my barn need new fascia, but I have also struggled with mechanical issues with both my garden vehicle and pasture tractor. Then -- last week huge computer issues, and most recently -- my garbage disposal met its final end.  I am so thankful for good plumbing people. I simply have to mention them specifically -- Dan Flick's Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning.  They understand. They are the all around best  -- not only are they nice people, but they also know what they are doing, do it well and promptly.  Again -- Thank You!  I so admire efficiency and ...  that they keep a straight face when you confess that you were trying to make things disappear when everything fell apart.

Here's the thing -- my disposal was probably on its way out anyway when I put what remained of a small jar of past-their-prime hot dilly beans down into it. However --  in hastening the beans to their end, I also managed to totally clog the drain in my kitchen sink which then backed up and, of course, would not drain out.  The result was that by morning my entire house smelled like yucky hot pickled green dilly beans. Oh -- lest I forget -- the disposal also began to leak under my sink as well -- enough to ooze and drip out onto my kitchen floor before I noticed what was happening with all that.  Oh my....  Those of you who have been there, can fill in the rest of the details.  When help arrived, shortly after I called them,  the under the sink area reeked of damp Brillo pads. The Flick's professionals were nice about that too.

Ah -- the joys of home ownership.  Then again -- I am always thankful that I am not washing my dishes in the pond behind my barn and sleeping out under the stars listening to the sounds of the bull frogs and dive-bombing mosquitoes. There is that....

No comments:

Post a Comment