Thursday, January 28, 2016

Moments in Time

We have all had those moments that are so significant, so poignant, or perhaps so shocking that we will never forget where we were and what we were doing when we first learned what happened. 

  • I was a Freshman in high school -- in English class -- when the principal announced over the PA system that JFK had been shot in Dallas. I was still in that classroom when it was announced that he had not survived. (1963)
  • I was in the dining hall at college during final exam week of my Freshman year when I heard that Bobby Kennedy had been assassinated. (1968)
  • I watched Neil Armstrong walk on the moon while sitting on the floor in front of the family TV.  I was setting my hair in brush rollers when Armstrong took "...one giant leap for mankind". (1969)
  • I was teaching senior high school English during the terrorist attacks of 9/11 and was told to keep the TV off in my classroom.  An administrator was standing outside my classroom and said to me, "Our country is under attack."  My response, "What are you saying?  No...!" (2001)

I guess what has me thinking about this phenomenon is that is it is thirty years ago today that the space shuttle "Challenger" blew up in front of all who were watching on televisions all over the world. It was a disaster that was to forever change the face of NASA and the space program in this country. Live on TV, I distinctly remember telling myself over and over that perhaps the astronauts could have survived. I was in total denial for some moments.  That's is how I tend to react at first -- almost without exception. I am very good at denial.

On the other side of the coin, I think it is important to realize that we all have personal memories of significant events that make only our own personal history books.  Fortunately for us it seems that the personal moments that stay with us can be happy ones as well. Strange how these "emotional memories" of both the good and not so good varieties pop up at the most unexpected times and replay in our minds. I am thankful for the happy ones...of which, it is important to remember, there are many. Let's try to hang onto and talk about the good as well as the horrific -- both are a part of the history of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment