Thursday, December 31, 2015

Dream on...

Those of you who were reading my blog a year ago may remember that I don't make New Year's resolutions because I never keep them and that makes me feel the mild guilt(s) of being somewhat of a failure as far as resolutions go.  I don't need reminders of things that I don't accomplish. My self-reminders play inside my head. That's enough. Now... all of this has me thinking. Why not switch from promises that you know you probably will not be able to keep, to focus on dreams instead? There is an important difference between a promise to give up chocolate covered doughnuts and a dream to... ... well,... the possibilities are endless. Why not start this new year with a written list of dreams you plan to work on making come true --even if it is only to take a step or two in that direction?  All of this is related to the entire notion of the self-fulfilling prophecy...if you think it will happen, it will happen...you somehow make it happen.  Each step you make may bring you a little closer to the realization of any one or of all those dreams. I heard someone say that he believes that people are only given dreams that are possible for them to make come true -- to realize  -- that dreams are within reach or -- you wouldn't have them. I like that idea.

Want to join me in making a list that you will open on New Year's Day 2017 to see how much closer you are to making your dreams come true? I am going to limit my list to three dreams -- if I can think of that many.  Remember -- dreams are a step beyond a Bucket list.  As I write all of this I am wondering to myself why it is that we Boomers don't seem to talk very often about dreams? I don't want to think that we ever stop dreaming. Do you?

Perhaps the secret to a potential success is in writing the dreams down.  Remember -- you don't have to share any of this with another person; it is just about you.  We are allowed to dream.... When we retire or are close to that point, it doesn't mean that we give up who we are. It doesn't mean that we stop having dreams and give up working toward realizing them. It is a time of new beginnings. It's a time to look and to move forward - maybe to do something we always wanted to do  -- or -- to learn something we never had time to learn before.  We are not what we used to do, but rather what we are doing now and plan to do/to become.

So -- Begin....  By January 1, 2017 I will:   (Go ahead ... write.... Put the list in an envelope and place it in with your holiday decorations or somewhere special, so that you will find it in time to open one year from tomorrow. It is a present to you from you.)

Happy 2016 everyone!
May it be your best year ever! May your dreams come true.... Make it happen....

Dream on...



No comments:

Post a Comment