Thursday, October 1, 2015

I call her the Lovely Luna...

I call her the Lovely Luna. She is a regal Norwegian Elk Hound mix, playful, loyal, gentle, but "mega" protective, and... top dog intelligent. I hope you know or have known a dog like this one -- a bit on the timid side until she launches into her protective mode. She loves her humans. I have mentioned her before in this blog -- she is the inspiration for the almost 3 acres of invisible fencing that came up in a post a few weeks ago. I will do what I can to protect this dog.  Recently she stayed with me for a few days, and I must say that she is welcome again at any time in the future -- definitely.  She is a lovely and frequently invited "guest". If truth be known - she is Family (notice the capital F) as well as the perfect visitor. She happily eats whatever you put in front of her, she never snarly mumbles or makes any noise of any kind actually, except a rare single bark to "ask" someone to open a door. If she had thumbs, I am convinced she would open the door herself. She is pleasant, has friendly eyes and appears to listen to everything you say to her with the added bonus of seeming to be interested in what you are saying. I am thoroughly convinced that she understands a good deal of English.  She also sleeps all night on her own bed -- doesn't lurk about or sneak up on furniture,  and ---she smiles.  She is never a Miss Grouchy Face -- ever. Can you ask more than that from a guest?  I think not.  She is perfect except for when she rolls in questionable pasture substances like deer poop or bear meadow muffins  and ... then... there is the doggy breath issue that may or may not be related to the previously mentioned dubious behavior ... but....  I can easily overlook these minor "unpleasantries" -- they are innate dog characteristics and... I love her. Plus it is obvious that she thinks she smells good and is so proud of herself that you just have to laugh as you gag.  

Other than going to work with my daughter at a nearby animal hospital, Luna is, for the most part, an outdoor dog. That probably is a good thing considering the last few sentences of the  previous paragraph. When visiting she spends most of her time wandering about and rolling in/sniffing things in the pasture or making a good show of being a ferocious guard dog.  She is protective. She especially enjoys positioning herself in elevated places and scanning her territory with head up and at least one ear raised.  She has trouble keeping both ears perked at the same time for more than a few moments. I don't know why. Perhaps it is a concentration issue. She does appear at times to be a little bit ADHD. Anyway ---it is especially nice for me when she has returned from her explorations and is tired out a bit. I like it when she snoozes on the floor beside my desk chair (like she was doing when I began to write this post).  As I said before -- I love her. What I did not mention previously is that she understands me. The house seems somehow empty when she leaves even though you hardly know that she is here when she is.  One last good thing is -- I know she will come back often if for no other reason than she goes almost everywhere with my grandkids...and...  I buy special cheese to put on her dog food and sometimes sneak her food from the table.  She likes to eat here.  Yep -- she will be back and that is a good thing.

P.S.  Reality check. A few days ago the lovely Luna had an "encounter" with a skunk.  She won't be visiting for a while.  I do love her, but I do have my limits....

No comments:

Post a Comment