Thursday, October 8, 2015

A Laugh Fest

Laughing is one of my most favorite things.  It is good for a person -- physically and mentally. Over time, many have written about laughter being good medicine, good for the soul, etc. Still true today, and isn't it nice to realize that some things last -- that this is one of the things that has survived? 

Recently I shared a delicious, homemade brunch with several of my cousins. When we get together for this type of relaxed, no-special-reason get-together, it is always a time of laughter.  "Funny" runs in our family, I think. We enjoy each other -- know each other -- have known each other all our lives. We laugh together.  It's bonding.

Topics of conversation vary, of course, but we usually touch on a few funny stories about our relatives, current goings on, plans, etc. Once in a while there is something we have to sort out. This particular gathering we got caught a bit on pierced ears. I think it is important to note here that there are lasting effects from some of life's decisions -- like having one's ears pierced -- or like the time my sister got a new electric razor from our Aunt Doris and decided to try it out on my legs. I was ten. Sometimes your life changes forever. Before I get to the cousin discussion though -- I want to share with you how I remember the whole ear piercing thing in my life.  I  don't remember ever wanting my ears pierced. My Mom and sister, both girly girls, decided that I needed them pierced, and for my sixteenth birthday and gave me earrings they liked and an appointment to have my earlobes drilled. I distinctly remember our family doctor grumbling that if God wanted our earlobes to have holes, he would have put them there. Neither he nor I were thrilled -- but we went along. Must mention that I haven't worn earrings in years. I like them on other people, just not my thing. I don't often think of the holes in my lobes. It's all good - although I just wish they would disappear.  Speaking of -- don't you wonder what all these tattooed people will think as they grow older all colored in ink that may clash with their outfits or that may be an unfortunate lesson in what happens with aging skin? There are going to be a lot of wrinkly tattoos...for sure.

Anyway... to get to the point -- this was the situation at the laugh fest:

One of my cousins had her nine-month-old granddaughter with her. (In our family, we like to start the children young in respect to the laughter "thing".) The baby had recently had her ears pierced, and that event gave direction to the conversation as two of the cousins, in their sixties or thereabouts, have always wanted to have their ears pierced, but being the big chickens they are on things like this, have never done so.  So -- the questions began. "Did the baby cry?"  Was there an audible crunching sound?"  What is the healing time?  We actually found quite a bit to say on this topic. The baby was totally happy to sit on her Nana's lap and was not at all aware that her teeny earlobes had become the center of attention.  My one cousin brought it all to a fun highpoint with this remark or something sort of like this (I don't always remember word for word and sometimes lose my notes).  She said...  I have often thought that I should have one of those medic alert bracelets engraved -- If you find me unconscious, please pierce my ears.  Need I say more? 

Having written all this, I just hope I am invited to the next laugh fest.  Maybe they will let me come if I promise to leave my notepad at home. I have to say -- this group has been my inspiration more than one time.  They are like that.  Fun and funny does run in the family. We all love to share laughter; it's a good thing all the way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment