Thursday, June 6, 2024

Cash In Hand and The Old Fart Mentality

Credit cards definitely come in handy sometimes, and I particularly like their cash back feature that helps buy other "stuff", but basically I tend to be a cash person.  I like the security of having a few bucks on hand to pay for things.  I like real money. Electronic money is good until the power goes out or the system is hacked. (Off the wall side note: Have you noticed that many cashiers don't even know how to count back change?  Good grief.)  

The last time I was in Indiana visiting my son and his wife, we went to a restaurant that didn't accept cash.  What?!  That was my first exposure to the beginnings of a cashless society trend that I find most annoying primarily because it eliminates my freedom of choice. I am touchy about such things -- especially in this day of big government that wants to control everything from what appliances I have to what kind of car I drive.  Plus I also like the security of having some small amount of cash out of reach of the greedy hands of corrupt power hungry "leaders".  I have already helped pay for their second and third homes. That's another whole story.

There is also another side to consider.  The people you pay in cash also then have money to pay for things. It's a nice link and a cycle of support somehow.  There are also no fees added to the price of things. A lot to consider here. There is more privacy in paying with cash ... no electronic footprint that can be monitored by financial institutions or government agencies. There is no danger of exposure to the potential of being hacked or of identity theft.  It's a lot to think about. 

The current trend, as I see it, is tending to favor a cashless society and perhaps for valid reasons. I will, however, leave those reasons for others to write about as I don't find them noteworthy  -  or up my alley. Obviously, I favor the use of cash side of the argument. I simply don't see the potential dangers of a cashless society being worth it and I guess -- I just don't trust it.  Give me interaction with humans I trust over machines and technology put in place by "control freaks" any day of the week. I am comfortable, once again, with the old fart mentality. 





No comments:

Post a Comment