Thursday, January 25, 2024

Western Clipper Winters

Ran across an old friend of sorts the other day and spent some time reminiscing about long past winter adventures.  I had gone down the steps to my basement to find something (I forget what now) and there stood my friend leaning against a far wall as if it were waiting... and the memories came flooding back.

There it was -- my Western Clipper, the perfect wooden sled with metal runners. It is now definitely a "little" worse for the wear -- not much red paint left on the frame and runners, and the steering rope is long gone. I usually give my "vehicles" names (my current Wrangler's is Earl), but if I named this old friend, I have forgotten. I am sorry that I don't remember. A good friend deserves better.

Anyway -- for some reason, I have a strong sense that some of you probably have (or had) this same sled and remember how you waited for the perfect sledding day - for packed or just enough crusty snow that could handle those metal runners - snow that would enable them to slide perfectly all the way to the bottom of the hill. You could steer with your hands if lying on your belly, or if sitting, your feet or the steering rope worked just as well. You needed a good running start or a strong skootch or two either way. A good ride was worth the trudge back up the hill to make the "run" even better.  Ah winter -- it meant different things in those days. No easy-to-slide plastic snow saucers back then. 

That same evening ...  after dark, I walked through the snow to close a pasture gate that the wind had set banging and thought to myself -- this would be the perfect crusty snow to handle that Clipper for sure. It would fly smoothly along its way ... crust on top of a solid base - a little more powder on top would help, but not totally necessary.  (If you live in snow country or ever have, you know what that means.) Anyway -- after getting that pesky gate latched(had to break some ice to do it), I walked back to the comfort of my home and sat in front of the fire. It was lovely. 

Sometimes reminiscing is the way to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment