Thursday, January 11, 2024

Cardinals ...

I was walking by the windows in my dining room at some point during the Holidays, and noticed that there were three beautiful cardinals flitting from branch to branch in the little tree just outside.  It was a sudden moment of sunshine -- sort of a rare burst of bright light in these winter days in NW Pennsylvania.  The cardinals were stunning.  As I stood there watching them and wondering if they were watching me as well, I thought about all the stories I have heard about the significance of the appearance of cardinals and ... so, of course, I had to do a little reading on the subject.  

There are several "theories" about the appearance cardinals, at any time, but especially during Holiday times. Some call those theories lore or wishful thinking. I call them somehow comforting and reassuring. When digging around I actually found an article about the sightings of "Christmas Cardinals" and the significance of them. Anyway ...  some people believe that they are simply a happy sign -- others that cardinals bring cherished memories -- a reminder that loved ones live on and are somewhere/somehow near when you are missing them the most.

Interestingly, the lore of various Native American tribes offers sort of a mixed view.  Cardinals may be a harbinger of rain or of sun  - sort of weather forecasters.  Other Native American tribes associate them with good things like love, devotion, loving relationships, and good fortune.

Further... I read that there are those who even say that cardinals are messengers from Heaven that are bringing comfort and love, and that seeing males -- the bright red ones -- means that you are to be blessed with good luck and fortune.  

Now the sad thing, at least for me, is that cardinals do not live across the entire world.  Oh, how I wish they did.  









No comments:

Post a Comment