Monday, October 30, 2023

Moments in Time

Don't know if it is age related or if it is just that the older a person is, the more time they find to think about things and the more memories there are to think about.  Moments in time just sort of pop up -- good and bad.  It's interesting. 

The other day, out of nowhere, a moment of my Dad and I walking through the woods popped up. It was a warm Summer day. We stopped at a stream and he cupped his hands together, dipped them into the water, and offered me a drink. The water was cool and ... salty.  That was probably over 65 years ago. Wow....

We all have historical moments frozen in time as well.  I was sitting in a 9th grade English class when JFK was shot. I was a Freshman in college, on my way to the dining hall, when I heard that Bobby Kennedy was assassinated.  I was sitting on the floor in front of the TV putting rollers in my hair as I watched Neil Armstrong walk on the moon in 1969. I was standing in a high school hallway watching students pass by in between classes when I heard that the Twin Towers had been hit by terrorists in 2001. 

Then sometimes moments with my kids when they were little drop in.  My son used to like to drag his little sister around in a wagon complete with as many sticks as he could fit in around her.  She never seemed to mind. My daughter spent time with her Boxer puppy in what we called the fat cupboard.  I always knew they were playing in there when I found all the pots and pans scattered all over the kitchen floor. Both children loved to dress up their dogs. Lots of fun memories of patient Boxers there.  I remember every detail of the first moments of seeing my children for the first time. I remember their first smiles, steps, moments of laughter and tears. Brief glimpses of my childhood moments pop in for a visit as well. So many.... I remember the last moments with my parents and my sister ... poignant beyond words. Memories just appear unexpectedly - moments in time.

It seems to me that life is full of little moments  -- each significant --sometimes beyond words. Some are just plain hard; some are just plain wonderful. I know that I, for one, am thankful for the memories whenever they drop in for a visit. Sometimes it is the small moments that are the most important over time. I am thinking/knowing that you definitely know what I mean.



No comments:

Post a Comment