Thursday, October 26, 2023

Ferris Wheels, Graham Crackers and more...

Acrostic puzzles are fun ... pleasantly and painlessly educational. Those are nice qualities. They make me feel like I am not totally wasting my time while I am working on them.  Actually, I enjoy all types of crossword puzzles. Spending time with a good puzzle can be relaxing and usually is also stress reducing.

Anyway -- I was working away on a "quiz acrostic" puzzle this afternoon.  That’s the kind where you figure out some phrase or tidbit of information by solving the two parts of the acrostic. The answer to the quiz question is then revealed by reading the first letter of each word in the first part of the puzzle.  Triple fun.  It’s hard to explain. You sort of have to be there to see what I mean. The point is though ... the following tidbit was the end result of all my work.  Here is the acrostic phrase:

“George Ferris’ first wheel was twenty-six stories high and had a capacity of over two thousand people.  For its first ride, a forty-piece band squeezed into one car. (Then the quiz question…) Where did Ferris introduce his extraordinary amusement ride?

Now the thing about all this is that I never knew that the Ferris Wheel was named after the inventor.  In fact, I never even thought about it. I totally skipped over the facts that I cannot even picture a twenty-six story Ferris wheel or that a forty-piece band crammed themselves into one car. I went right to the idea that I bet there are a lot of things named after people ... and  I didn't know it.  We should acknowledge them.  Right?  So… of course I had to hit Google.

 

Mason Jar     John Landis Mason

Saxophone     Adolphe Sax

Graham Crackers      Sylvester Graham   

Jacuzzi     the Jacuzzi brothers

Braille     Louis Braille

Heimlich Maneuver     Henry Judah Heimlich

Salisbury Steak     James Salisbury

 

Also Cardigan, Nachos, Tupperware, Leotard and I simply cannot leave out Ford.  The list goes on and on. ...not sure why I find this so amazing. 

By the way – the answer to the quiz question is Chicago.      

 


No comments:

Post a Comment