Thursday, October 28, 2021

Mrs. McGillicuddy, et al...

 

Some names become representative of a type of person -- so much so that a name may come to conjure up a stereotypical image. This is not fair really and often it is inaccurate.  Nevertheless, I don’t know of anyone who would name a sweet baby girl Marie Antoinette, and it seems that the name Karen (a perfectly lovely name) is now experiencing a burst of unpopularity in some circles.

Nurse Ratched of One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest has come to refer to any woman who appears to be cold, heartless and ... scary.  Mrs. McGillicuddy of I Love Lucy comes to mind when thinking of Edith Bunker and the like – "… dimwitted, scatterbrained, but still loving…” and loveable.  Gladys Kravitz - of Bewitched is now any nosy neighbor.  Sort of fun really to think about. These examples are obviously linked to the Baby Boomer generation although some overlap occurs  -- some do span generation gaps. There are reruns after all....

Baby Boomers (born 1946-1964) will probably recognize them all.  Not sure what names would do the same for all the letter generations.  You know who I mean. Generation X (born 1965-1980, Generation Y (the Millennials we hear so much about these days (born 1981-1995), and Generation Z (born 1996-2010).  I mean Z – really?  Where does one go after being the last letter in an entire alphabet? (Generation Z is apparently also referred to as the New Silent Generation.  Again I repeat -- really?  Doesn’t seem fitting somehow.)  Who does this generation naming?  Anyway – back to my question of where does one go after the end of the alphabet?  It seems that you start with a different alphabet.  Those born 2011-2025 are now being called Generation Alpha.  Heavy….  So now you know.

I think it is interesting though that names also come to have meanings and associations of a personal nature. If your childhood and lifelong best friend’s name is Mary, I am thinking you will always associate good things with that name. Mine is and I do. The reverse is also true – in my experience.  For example, the name Stella has majorly negative connotations for me.  Stella was the name of my Great Grandfather’s second wife. Stella was the housekeeper and my great grandfather married her some years after the passing of his first wife. Stella was hateful toward and mean to my Mom, so I don’t like her. Never knew her. Doesn't matter. She died long before I was born.  Doesn’t make a difference.  I don’t like her.   I don't like the name Stella. It’s that simple. Perhaps a bit more info will clarify - my Mom was forced to leave her grandfather’s home at the age of 16, with just the clothes on her back, never to return again.  Why?   ... because she, in a moment of desperation, frustration, hurt and anger, etc., smashed a bowl of mashed potatoes into Stella’s face during Sunday dinner and then had the audacity to refuse to apologize.  It’s a long story really, but I always loved the spunk of it all. Stella deserved the mashed potatoes. Trust me on that. I should mention that my mom, prior to this, had lived her entire life with her grandfather.  Heartbreaking really when you think about it. I picture a sad young girl -- standing alone - outside the door.  No wonder my Mom was big on saying – pull yourself up by your boot straps and get on with it.   Yep, I will always think of the name Betty as spunky -- with all its positive connotations.   I so admire gumption. And speaking of the name Betty -- that wasn't my Mom's given name.  She found out when she left her grandfather's home that her real name was Clara... Her last name was different too... but... that is another story. Names are interesting -- on several levels.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment