Thursday, September 9, 2021

The Panda, The Sloth and The Blobfish...

 

Somehow the topic of spirit animals found its way into a conversation a couple of days ago, and as a result, I set aside the blog post that I was going to put up this week so that I could share this one with you. Now – just in case you are not familiar -- according to one source, a spirit animal may be “… a teacher or messenger that comes in the form of an animal and has a personal relationship with an individual”.  Sort of nice, right?  Right now, as I type in the predawn hours, I can hear my favorite owl hooting off and on from some far away perch. I love that sound. I find it comforting somehow.

Anyway – finding it somewhat amusing that the person I was talking to said that her spirit animal was the sea turtle, it was with the best intentions really that I started to research what mine might be.  Now in her case almost every quiz she took online said that the sea turtle was her spirit animal. I would have felt better about that if she lived closer to a sea, but it is what it is. I had to look up what a sea turtle even looks like.  There are several different kinds actually, and you can even adopt one ... symbolically of course. The adoption kit will set you back $60 - $250 according to the website I discovered, but there are cute gift bags involved. It's a personal choice.  I will not be adopting one. ~~ Somehow, I still don’t quite see the sea turtle for her, but perhaps I am missing something. I am a novice in this whole realm after all.

So – back to my search.  I started with quizoto.com and discovered that my spirit animal is a panda.  Although the panda is cute, I am not comfortable with that (just don’t feel the connection), so I kept looking. Buzzfeed.com identified my spirit animal as a sloth.  Now – I can see slothful characteristics in my tendency to occasionally live in what I call Slugsville and sloths do have cute faces which make them appealing on some level, but – I don’t know -- a Sloth? They just hang around -- literally.  I decided to take yet another quiz. They are remarkably easy to find and I had the time.

It seems to be commonly accepted that you can find anything on Pinterest, so that was my next and final stop in the search. Here is what happened.  This particular quiz identified my spirit animal as a Blobfish. Look it up – not exactly cuddly – blobfish are found in deep waters off the coast of Tasmania and Australia. Never one to find fish of any sort attractive, the blobfish brings "icky looking" to a whole new level. The Pinterest quiz not only identified the blobfish as my spirit animal, but went on to say this about me… and I quote, so please don’t think that I talk like this – because I don’t – well almost never.  It said that I was “f *cking nasty as hell and… ugly. …need nose surgery… and have no friends. Sorry .”  Yep – that’s what it said. It sort of caught me off guard and then -- after the shock wore off -- I found it to be "laugh out loud" funny. I especially love the “Sorry” with the frowny face at the end. Nevertheless, I discontinued the search through online quizzes. Enough time on that. I am thinking that these particular quizzes are about as accurate as Dr. Google.

Here’s the thing. Native Americans have a much more serious and kinder way that one can determine his/her spirit animal. Plus, they only have 8 common ones – so much easier.  There is a lot written about it actually.  So – I have determined my spirit animal.  You can pick one too.  Anyone can.  It’s sort of nice really.  No surprise here – I have chosen the owl. It feels right somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment