Thursday, September 23, 2021

Sometimes...

 

                                         “Sometimes.” said the horse.

                        “Sometimes What?” asked the boy.

                             “Sometimes just getting up 

                                      and carrying on is

                                  brave and magnificent.”

 

Recently a dear friend gave me a book entitled The Boy, the mole, the fox and the Horse.  Maybe you have read it.  If not, I think it is worth anyone’s time.  It was written and illustrated by Charlie Mackesy, who among a long list of accomplishments, also, at one time, was a cartoonist for The Spectator and a book illustrator Oxford University Press. It is a very short easy read, and some may think of it as a children’s book, but like so many “children’s” books, it speaks to adults as well.  The lines above this paragraph are from this book and I started off with them as they call to mind the silent heroes among my students of the past. I can remember standing among them in the moments before class started and thinking how amazing it was that some of them made it to school at all.  They were my silent heroes - sometimes overcoming indescribably hard situations to even get themselves to school… situations that they never talked about – ever.  But … their stories were in their eyes.

Anyway – once in a while I like to share good “reads”.  I know that I recently shared with you that I was reading a series by Louise Penny, a Canadian writer whose work has helped me survive this pandemic.  I think I am currently in book 15 of what is now a 17-book series.  I hope she keeps on writing them, as I am totally enthralled with all the characters of the little mysterious village of Three Pines and... her writing is thought -provoking.  I have also been spending time with Sue Monk Kidd, Tana French and Kate Morton.  Wonderful all – each in her own way.  I don’t know about you, but I am thankful that I can read and that someone can write.  It’s a lovely partnership. 

No comments:

Post a Comment