Thursday, February 18, 2021

An abundance of caution and glass doorknobs....


There have always been things that I have found annoying, but of late I seem to be focusing on language -- words and phrases that make me want to slap something. I am thinking that you know that feeling. This happens to me a lot when words or phrases are misused or overused.

Take the word "transparent" for example. Until recently, the word transparent described something one could see through clearly to the other side - like a window or Saran Wrap.  Saying that one is transparent now implies that what they are saying is above board...honest. I don’t “buy” this.  It seems to me that "transparent" is enjoying this popularity even though it is often used inappropriately or inaccurately to describe things as above board or honest that are not at all above board or honest at all. Saying that one is being transparent does not make it so. That just doesn’t work for me. Semantics does matter. A "home" is different from a "house" although they could be defined the same. Honesty and transparency are not the same --- in spite of what an urban dictionary may imply. Those dictionaries, by the way, also state that "woke" is an adjective (seriously?) and more importantly they define it in multiple and contradictory ways. I would make sure that you know what it means in all these definitions before you use it on a regular basis. Language can get one into trouble these days.

Moving on to groups of words… the phrase at the top of my slap list today is ... "out of an abundance of caution." It is used, frequently, in reference to restrictions and unpopular controls put on an already suffering population -- that is you and me and every other person in the country and at times -- maybe the entire world. This is a phrase often employed by those who are, in many cases, enjoying their temporary positions of authority a bit too much.  I am thinking that you know exactly what I mean. Anyone else waiting for Karma or hoping that there is such a thing? Saying that something is done out of an abundance of caution is supposed to make it okay… and sometimes it is.  At other times – not so much.  

So – anyway and in contrast -- I think it is most important to find fun language examples to balance things out.  You know things that make you laugh out loud and forget about the bad stuff.  Now the dialog in reruns of The Big Bang Theory almost always makes me laugh out loud.  But -- the tall trophy of the day goes to the person who was responding to a Facebook comment that I happened upon while browsing. I forget exactly what he was talking about now, but he used the phrase "... slicker than snot on a glass doorknob".  Didn't expect that, did you? I didn't either when I first read it. Hope it made you laugh too… or at least smile….  We need that these days -- for sure. 

The daily challenge is... can anyone use the words and phrases mentioned above in the same sentence?  Perhaps keep in mind that both glass doorknobs and snot could be considered to be at least somewhat transparent?  Further -- we are all aware of how important it is these days to approach anything we touch with an abundance of caution.  So ... there is that to consider as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment