Thursday, February 4, 2021

Thumb Texting... Oh, the horror....



The idea for this blog entry just popped into my head after I corrected multiple mistakes while trying to write about another subject ...  the phrase I thought of is that “… it was like I was typing with my thumbs”.  Obviously -- it was an easy jump from that to the whole thumb texting issue.  After repeated attempts at thumb texting – I see now that "clumsy thumb" phrase is relevant even today. Think for a moment of the first person who texted with thumbs. You know that they couldn’t do it either.  Why did they continue?  Is that why auto correct came into being?  Is that an example of typical techno nerd dark, twisted sense of humor?  (One of my nieces told me one time that she used to work in the .com world – whatever that means – and that many techno nerds make things difficult for the average man because they think it is fun to do so.  An ostracized smart man’s revenge perhaps?  But – I digress… By the way - I think I am rather nerdy and proud of it -- just not techno nerdy.  There are differences. Knowing how to thumb text may be one of those differences.)

Anyway -- Research indicates a couple of interesting tidbits (amazing what you find in a Google search). One is that the method one uses to text may in fact be age related.  Other studies offer that thumb texting is faster than index finger texting, but less accurate.  Duh....  (I wonder if the researchers received government grants to support these "most important studies"?  Now that would be an interesting, but perhaps sad research project ....) Alas... I did not find anything on those who mix thumb with other finger texting methods.

I did try to learn to text with my thumbs.  I made a valiant effort. Why? Because I think it looks so cool and because I needed to learn something new.  You know the "thing" -- you can't teach an old dog new tricks.  I have to tell you -- I gave up rather quickly even though it made auto correct relevant to my life.  Why did I give up? ...because I found the process most annoying and... because I am absolutely terrible at it (pathetic really) and ... I have better stuff to worry about.  That's why. On to the next project….


No comments:

Post a Comment