Thursday, November 5, 2015

I Cry at the Parades

I pretty much have grown up in a small community in rural NW Pennsylvania.  I like it here - even in the winter. I like the people.  I like the way of life.  I like the area, the change of seasons, and I like the feel of small town America. That is why I raised my children here. That is why I stay here. 

For many years I worked with young people at the local high school.  They drove me crazy sometimes, but basically they won my heart -- over and over again.  I distinctly remember trying to sit alone in the auditorium during their assemblies, performances, ceremonies, plays... all of it.   You see the thing is -- I would cry just watching them, and I didn't really want the kids to know that I am a big softy. I never went to an event without Kleenex. I admired their courage to put themselves out there.  I admired their commitment and spirit...their many talents.  That spirit is the basis of it all -- the "feel" of small town America. It touches my heart.

Now I am fortunate enough to watch my grandchildren begin their lives here... to watch them discover what it is like to be a part of this community. My grandson went for a walk just the other day.  He told me that he stopped at the art gallery and introduced himself to the woman working there. Did I mention that he is eight?  He told me that they talked about art, that she wanted him to bring in some of his drawings.  He plans to do so.  He stopped into a couple of other places and an antique store as well.  He checked things out...was welcome every single place he went.  That's how people are here.  I think it is part of the whole "...it takes a village" thing.  He felt good about every aspect of the experience...very independent and capable.  He told me that it felt nice to get to know new people and... that he stopped in the city park on his way through -- just to dance a little bit in the gazebo there.  Imagine the joy of feeling like doing that...  Now his little sister is all about going on a walk with him.  It will be a while yet.  She is four.

I have good feelings about this town.  I have felt the "pulling together" in times of need, I have felt the support of one for another.  There is an underlying understanding that comes from sharing lives in a community like this.  You don't know everyone, but you do have a sense of being a part of the spirit of things. Off and on throughout the year there are community celebrations of various sorts.  People work hard to make it special for others. They take pride in what they do and in their community. The festivities are warm and welcoming. There is a feeling about being a part of a small town in America. It's good.  I have to mention though --  I cry at the parades.  I am thinking that some of you will "get" that.  




No comments:

Post a Comment