Thursday, March 12, 2015

Out of the mouths of babes....

I will confess.  Since my grandkids will rat me out anyway (probably already have), I might as well get "in front of it".  Here's the situation.  My daughter and son-in-law went away for a long weekend, and I moved into their home to stay with my just turned 8 grandson, my just turned 4 granddaughter, their dog -- the lovely Luna, and their two cats - who shall remain nameless at at this point in time.  Picture my situation for a moment...one Nana, two kids, three pets. Obviously it was the perfect opportunity for a "staycation".

I was in "Nana alert mode" - had been for days -- in a bit of a state of nervous anticipation of our time together.  Nothing bad was going to happen to any of them on my watch and nothing did.  We managed well -- lots of fun, lots of laughter, extra books at bed time, etc. -- and a bit too much of  "The Song That Never Ends".  (I need to remember to talk to my son-in-law about teaching them that song.) They are fun kids and they think almost anything I do is funny...so sweet really. Bless their hearts.

Okay  -- now for the confession....     I, Nana, am the one who:
  • allowed the kids to have Klondike bars for breakfast -- more than once.
  • allowed the kids to have Belgian waffles with strawberries and whipped cream for supper -- once.
  • fed the dog from the table -- more than once.
  • broke the glass casserole dish -- once.
  • spilled the beverage at the Dairy Queen -- all over all the winter coats -- once.
  • almost let the kids wear the clothes they had slept in to school because I got temporarily confused about the time change -- once.
  • allowed one child to have pink lemonade with pizza -- once.
  • allowed seconds on root beer so as to come out even with the grilled cheese and fries -- once.
  • drove the kids to school in the clothes I had slept in -- more than once.
So -- I confess.  Although I did not totally enforce the healthy choices of the family eating policy and was a bit flexible in bed time routine rules, we laughed a lot and spent a great deal of time making fun memories.   I, for one, had a great time.  I think the kids did too, but -- I also think that they did find the change in routine sometimes a bit bothersome.  After the episode where I spilled my beverage all over myself and their coats, I did hear my grandson say softly to his sister, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger..." Her response to him was to lean toward him and sigh as only she can.   That says it all.   These children make my heart smile.  

1 comment: