Thursday, March 5, 2015

"..., can Spring be far behind...?"

You are not alone.  Almost the entire country is sick of being cold.  Some of us have just had a little bit more of the cold and winter weather than others. A case in point is the police department of a town in Tennessee that has issued an arrest warrant for Elsa.  Seriously.  How funny is that?  

Yep -- I love to see how people keep their sense of humor in winter. I admire them. Those who don't head to warmer climes (if they can find any) and brave the cold to paint flowers on their snow banks or to ski and ice skate to and from work while smiling are remarkable.  They make me smile even if they are a bit too much for me to handle sometimes. You see -- I have had enough of winter -- I have now become so grumpy off and on that I can barely stand myself.  I laughed when I heard this guy on TV tell his friends in Southern California that he was sick of their postings on social media about how concerned they were about those of us in colder, more wintry climes. He told them to stop posting pictures of their smiling tanned faces. I understand him.  Last week I found myself standing in front of my bathroom mirror actually debating whether I could take off my silk long underwear long enough to shower. This is true. It happened. There are days when I pad around my house with my warmest bathrobe on top of my clothes and hope that no one comes to the door.  I sleep in fleece sheets -- not flannel -- fleece -- deep pile fleece.  I now think it is time for shorts and tee shirts if it gets into the 30's. Come on -- I know I am not alone in this.  I talk to people. I talk to people I have never seen before about "stuff" like this and also about heating bills and wind chill factors. Those of us who dare to venture out in bad weather always talk to one another...it is a bonding between those who suffer from cabin fever. We are kindred souls. We are desperate for a bit of green.  We are done with what my son calls the "snirt" (snow + dirt) and have endured the "snowpocalyptic times" (self-explanatory).

Yes -- it is time for Spring to arrive.  I am actually eating out of my freezer instead of talking about doing so and, now and again I find myself spending time watching the ice form inside my windows and wondering how much damage it will do to my woodwork when it thaws. I listen to my house groan and think about things like frozen pipes and the weight of the snow and ice on my roof.  Now here's a plus -- sort of.  I did not run out of fire wood this year.  Reason? The caps on my chimneys are frozen shut.  I have been unable to have any fires.  I am trying to look for the positives...honest.  It's now March -- Spring is just around the corner.  Right?   

No comments:

Post a Comment