Thursday, March 28, 2024

Soul Nudge...


Ran across a FaceBook post this week that, I think, is an important reminder that we need to be nice to each other. The anonymous writer of the story used the term "soul nudge" -- the feeling that you must simply reach out to someone because you sense that they need you. You have no idea why they need you, but you get this feeling that you simply must reach out in some kind way.  As my wonderful Mom used to say -- be nice to people.  You never know what they are going through ... you never know what is in the bags of rocks that they carry with them -- rocks you cannot see, and... we all have our own bag. Remember that.  Then a few days later, a friend of mine recounted to me her experience in a check-out line at the local grocery store in which an exceedingly mean person in front of her in line was giving the clerk an exceedingly miserable experience.  Seriously... it's enough. And so -- this blog emerges...  "Soul Nudge".

Am thinking that I am not alone these days is finding myself in a world that has turned upside down a bit. Current events across the world are alarming. I check in with news about twice a day always wondering what new horror is emerging -- all the while hoping that something - anything- might be going right. I keep wondering how things could get worse ... and then they do.  Some days it is hard to maintain my optimistic view of life. I know there have been other times throughout history with great worldwide challenges. Perhaps this is just our time to face a few and see what we are made of. I guess the pandemic wasn't enough of a lesson. Then, on top of it all, there are the personal challenges we all have as well.  It’s exhausting. 

It is in this world of today where I am feeling the soul nudge the strongest.  I think others feel it too.  Hope so. I do see that some are giving other people some space to find their way through these times.  Then again -- others -- not so much. There is too much intolerance (and worse) across the board. Meanness abounds, let along even bigger "things". What harm would a bit of tolerance and kindness do? People need other people.  We are all in these times together no matter who or of what beliefs we are.

“Our life evokes our character.” (I so love these words of Joseph Campbell.) I personally feel that we should listen to and trust the "soul nudge".  ... even something as easy to give as a smile can change someone's day.  It's not a little thing. My mom also used to say that you cannot change or fix the problems of the world, but you can reach out to those you are able to touch. I am thinking that is her version of the "soul nudge". That woman definitely had a certain special wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment