Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Where is Winter?

 

Probably by the time I am about to post this blog, things will have changed, but for now I have to say I am still waiting for winter. All my boots are mud, if not dust, covered. If you live in NW PA, and it is snowing when you read this, please pretend that it hasn’t started yet and think back a couple of days. Normally my least favorite month as it seems to me like the longest month of the year, February is different this year.  Now almost the middle of February, it is 54º, “… And the green grass grows all around all around / And the green grass grows all around…”. I even saw some sun today.  Strange. A few days ago, I heard geese as they were flying North. Just yesterday I noticed that Mr. and Mrs. Goose have made their annual stop at the pond next door -- a full month early!

We have had snow in bursts this season, but nothing that lasts very long. The skiers and snowboarders are thankful that it has been cold enough to make snow at nearby ski resorts.  I am okay with dry roads and the lack of ice, but the lack of snow is unnerving somehow.  When you grow up in Northwest Pennsylvania and live here for decades, this mild weather is like waiting for the other shoe to drop. And it just seems to go on an on.  There is a certain unease about a non-winter.  People in these parts know that somehow we will pay for this in the long run.  We believe deep down that nothing will let us off the hook. We have become accustomed to dealing with at least 150" of snow and to have so little is unsettling. I remember that his has happened before off and on since that one February when I was in grade school, when I walked to school with no coat. I know. But... it is always odd.

Anyway … snow and bitter cold are a part of who we are. This year we have missed the snow but not all the bitter cold. Usually the two go together. The thing is – many of us would rather have a good ground cover of snow than the recurring mud of this year’s so-called winter. Snow cover, after all, makes everything look clean and makes the world quieter and more peaceful somehow.  Those aspects of winter are nice. We are ready for snow here. We have special gear for snow and every third pickup in these parts has a plow on the front. Almost all personal vehicles are all-wheel or 4-wheel drive. Thank goodness for all pickup plows and vehicles that will get you out of your driveway and along the roadways even if the big plows haven't rumbled through very often as of yet. We handle snow well. Plus.. we know how to shovel.

I realize that, if we get a blizzard now after writing all this, that it will serve me right. Sorry. It’s like the Weather in these parts has ears and likes to seek revenge. That’s why we whisper things like “This has been a really easy winter.” In fact - I am whispering in my head as I write this. We know we will pay for the good days. Case in point -- I have seen snow in the air in June. 

Sometimes I wonder why people live here.  In the summer, one can count the consecutive number of sunny days on one hand. Personally I live here because I like the cold and don’t mind cloudy summer days. I also like socks and sweatshirts. (It goes without saying that I like the people who live here.)  Guess every part of the country has it’s good and not so good weather points.  At least mold doesn’t survive well in these climes and no one has to worry about termites. They cannot survive temperatures below 25º. (I know this because I looked it up a long time ago. Don't know why, but I did.)  So ..there is that. One less thing to worry about.

Northwest Pennsylvanians are a Hearty bunch. We expect winter to be winter.  Maybe not as wintery as Buffalo NY, but still winter.    Let it snow... or not. We are ready.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment