Thursday, April 28, 2022

Escape to The Box Store...

I am trying not to write about the article I read that describes the current "dystopian" situation of our nation as falling somewhere between Orwell's 1984 and Homer's land of the lotus-eaters.  The following is the result of that effort to escape current events ....

~~~~

So – recently when my grands had a day off from school, their mom invited me to tag along with them while making a trip to a box store about 30 miles from where we live … always a fun adventure that I love to share with them. We try to do it at least two times a year.  I think of it as restocking the larder (one of my grandmother’s words that I have always found amusing for some dumb reason). 

We have shared such outings for many years now. There was a time when my daughter and I each had a child in our own cart. We would tuck the kids into the deep part of the carts and move them around among the items as we shopped – eventually they would be sitting (perched) on top of large boxes of stuff. It was at times to the point that they were about to tip out  – hanging on for dear life. They thought that to be wonderful fun and had a game of some sort involving "package cannons". I never quite understood the rules.  If antsy, they would run around and were usually quite good about staying within sight.  We never really lost either one of them… well… not for very long anyway. Now that my grandson in way taller than I am and my granddaughter is just a bit shorter – those days are gone. No more perching.  No more package cannon. Now – they help lift heavy stuff and select treats for the pantry.  It’s all good.  They also help unload when we get home which is huge.  Plus – they never get lost in the store anymore either – which makes these trips less stressful. They have become expert tasters of the free samples that are sometimes offered from place to place as one moves throughout the warehouse. It’s fun.

I just have to share this one more thing while I have the picture in my mind .... We have been dragging those kids with us for their entire lives.  Good sports both. When my grandson was really little and before he had a sister, I remember packing him into his car seat and then loading perennials into the back seat around him and into the cargo area behind – totally surrounding him.  I can still see his smiling little face peering out like ET in the closet.  He is a most tolerant person. His sister is as well.  Good times.

Ah -- the good olde days. In some ways it seems like yesterday. I used to pack snacks and drink boxes for them with an occasional toy or something to amuse them along the way. Nowadays, we tend to stop at Panera’s for lunch after we shop and cell phones provide entertainment while riding - if needed.  I sort of miss the snack wrappers and empty drink box days, but the car stays cleaner…so there is that.  

Growing up happens so quickly. But then .... you know that.

No comments:

Post a Comment