Thursday, April 7, 2022

A Red Letter Day...

 

We have all had days like the one I am going to describe.  It starts out as a sort of a pain in the neck day, but actually turns out to be better than average -- even significant in some minor ways. 

It all started when I knocked the stain remover stick off the counter in the laundry room only to have it land beyond reach behind the washing machine. Now since that was the third item to find a place in the dust balls there, I decided that it was past time to rescue them all -- even though two of the items just needed to be thrown out. One was a plastic lid to something and the other was unidentifiable.  Now you need to have an accurate mental picture of my laundry room to understand the dilemma.  Quite frankly I don’t know how Meerhoff’s Appliances even got a washer and dryer in there... and they have done it more than once. Bless them.  Anyway – the room is the size of a toothpick box – more a closet than a room really – and not a large closet.  It's saving grace is that it is right off my kitchen and thus most convenient. Anyway -- it is sort of difficult to describe how you actually pull the washer away from the wall as it is sandwiched tightly between a counter on the left and the dryer on the right. To add to the challenge – once it is out, it is up against a wall and now blocks access to the rest of the room. So -- there is no room whatsoever to maneuver, and it is necessary to employ a sturdy step stool and a long stick with a cleaning rag attached to try to slide items out to freedom and with which to try to remove what is probably years of dust balls and grit. At one point I found myself on top of the washer.  It was impressive if I do say so myself. (The pole employed was one of those extendable ones. I so love those kind as I am on the short side of the height chart.) Anyway -- after successful recovery of the stain remover stick, et al, and having worked up an impressive sweat – mission accomplished. At this point I changed out my sweatshirt for a tee shirt and moved on to another project rather surprised that I didn’t stop for a coffee break. I was on a roll…

For some unknown reason, after I threw in a load of laundry to make sure the washer still worked, I decided to give three of my four houseplants a haircut. What a mess! That, of course, inspired me to move furniture around. Cleaning as I went, I managed to drag, push and carry until I now have a new, somewhat awkward, pathway throughout part of my house and an impressive black and blue bruise on one shin.  I managed to seemingly reduce the size of my living room area and enlarge that of my book room.  Don’t know why I felt the need to do this.  I simply get into the mood to move things around once in a while.  There are very few pieces of furniture that I am able to move these days. I am hoping that my new interest in chair yoga may help with this.  Guess I just like to do what I am able to do. It is fun once in a while to change things up a bit and to reduce the dust ball population.

It must be Spring! (Fingers crossed on that!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment