Thursday, January 27, 2022

From cold morning grumpy to the stuffed purse...

 

Quite frankly there are some mornings that … even before my feet hit the floor … I just know that it is one of those days.  I have to watch myself because I am up to no good for sure.  I can tell.  Woe to anyone who crosses me or tries to take advantage of me on one of these days, and especially today  -- since it is -11º this morning as I write this ... and there is ice on the inside of my windows.  Normally quite a sweet “older” lady, I do have my limits on patience.  (I have been working on patience for my entire adult life-- with limited success.) Anyway -- those who underestimate me because of my white hair and wrinkles should be careful … very careful.  I can hold my own. These traits are not mellowing with years. Not sure that is a good thing. Like I said - I have been working on it.  The thing is -- I think this may come from watching morning "news" when I first wake up. Morning “news” does not serve me well as a way to start my day. Neither do the current concerns of the world... but those are whole other topics about which I will try not to write... and, once again, I enter a news blackout phase... for a while.

So ... in spite of the fact that I am chomping at the bit to write about current events, broken promises by those in power, fear mongering in general, the latest misinformation, or the ever-spreading stupidity of people who should know better or of those in power who who underestimate the intelligence of the American citizenry, I am going to write about an amazing friend of mine – more specifically – about what all she carries in her purse – or used to anyway – that may have changed.  Not sure – but I doubt it. Some things just don’t change.  I count on that.  Anyway -- whenever I think of her purse … I am amazed. This topic is, of course, a continuation of my attempt to keep things light.

Now the thing is – I love purses.  I have a “coat rack” in my bedroom that is heavy with them. Many of them are probably over 50 years old, but look new from lack of use.  I dust them once in a while. I sometimes carry them even if they are almost empty except for the mandatory driver’s license, perhaps my cell phone (if I am not in escape mode), a credit card and cash for a tip if I am eating out somewhere.  I sometimes think I should “leave in” the original tissue paper stuffing that comes with them so that they at least look full.  I can’t think of anything else to put in them.  I don’t comb my hair or wear makeup, so none of those “necessities” are essential in my case unless it might be Chapstick. I find that Chapstick is an essential in these climes and... it doesn't take up much room.

In contrast is the purse of a good friend of many years.  I can always count on her to have a loaded handbag or shoulder bag. Regardless of style, said purse always matches her outfit too. (Must mention I think she has great taste in purses and in outfits.  Perfect actually.) However... I am surprised sometimes that she doesn’t find it difficult or exhausting to carry such cargo or that she doesn’t lean to one side from the weight of it all.  She is nothing if not prepared. It's impressive really.  Over the years, I have seen remarkable things appear from the depths of her purse.  I have seen spare socks, scissors, sewing kits, extra sun glasses, Kleenex, rubber bands and glue, not to mention Band-Aids, knitting needles and various odds and ends—sometimes mysterious items that I can’t identify appear as she is looking for something else.  In addition there are, of course, the usual makeup items – brush or comb, blush (perhaps) and one or more colors of lipstick and, of course, an accompanying mirror. Bet I have left out a lot of interesting and surprising items as well. I have, from time to time, wondered if she has sewn extra small perfect pockets into the lining of her purses to house sharp objects or for organizational purposes.  That’s another thing – she sews beautifully and often creates original sorts of treasures.  One time I discovered that she had made not only the napkins, but also the placemats on which she was serving lunch.  Amazing to me. Truly amazing. I still invite her to my house though.  She is most tolerant of store-bought stuff and of "my ways".

So – from cold morning grumpy to the full purse. Odd how the mind works sometimes. Plus  -- thinking of tolerant good friends always makes things better and brighter. Right?  

No comments:

Post a Comment