Thursday, April 8, 2021

Sometimes there are memories...

Today a thought popped into my head -- not sure why. I decided to run with it -- probably because it makes me smile and also because it brings back some fun and goofy memories of times with my sister while we were growing up. I miss her (it will be three years this week since she left us). I have lots of those fun growing up memories and of other times we shared later on as well; that is good. I hang on to them. They are treasures. Wish we could have had more time ...  thankful for the time we did have.   ... to continue ....

I have won two trophies in my entire life.  (It's not an impressive trophy list.) One was in a summer program called Jr. Golf and everyone got a trophy of some sort... so they basically meant nothing. I think I was about 10.  Anyway -- I won the end of the season trophy for being a good sport.  My sister and I thought of it as the "good loser" trophy. In truth I have never enjoyed golf. Neither did my sister.  Actually, she was more of an indoor person.  Think I referred to her more than once as a house plant. She loved me in spite of that. She loved me in spite of a lot of younger sibling shenanigans.  But -- back to the golf thing and to continue my rambling -- I don't like playing, watching or hearing about it. For me the best part of Jr. Golf was getting to walk around outside.  Now golf carts have pretty much ruined that aspect as far as I can tell.  Does anyone walk a golf course anymore? Does anyone walk just to be outside -- for the fun of it?  I see very few in my travels...  By the way, I find walking to be a lovely pastime.  I should do it more. (My sister came to love walking outside as well. She was at the expert walker level for sure. She should have had a trophy for that.)  By the way -- my Jr. Golf trophy eventually disintegrated.  I think it was made partially out of a coconut. So - I am now down to just one remaining trophy and the last time I saw it, I think it was damaged somehow - can't remember exactly how. Don't care really.

Anyway -- this "last trophy standing" is the one I won in my high school days.  My speech teacher convinced me to enter an area competition in original oration. I was too afraid of her to decline. (A smile from her was a rarity indeed. She also had rather severe facial expressions and remarkably hairy arms. Those are the three things that stand out the most in my memory. Can't help it.) I still have that trophy somewhere in my book room -- probably pushed back behind books on a shelf somewhere.  My books tend to be two deep on those shelves.  I need more shelves but the ones I do have already run from floor to ceiling in that room, and I simply don't know where else I could put more. Books seem to be stacking up all over the place these days. (I do not like electronic readers.) Anyway -- my sister dubbed it the "gift of gab trophy".  It makes me laugh to think about.  She took the time to write me a little note of congratulations as she was away at college at the time.  Wish I still had that note... probably do if I could remember where I put it.  I hope someday to run across the box where I stored all such treasures.  In the meantime - there are the memories. I cherish them. They all seem to run together sometimes; don't they? 

Now that I think of it -- I just wish I had made a trophy to give to my sister - it would be a best ever sister trophy and it would be impressive... and it would not fall apart. Knowing her, she would have placed it in a position of honor somewhere in her home office.  Her office held all sorts of treasures - each one with memories of its own. Yep. Sometimes there are memories.   

No comments:

Post a Comment