Monday, January 11, 2021

Ugh... big, fat, heavy... and... dirty boots....

 

This week I was going to tale a break from all the scary things that are happening and instead post a blog about the journalistic efforts involved in a damncovid project I am currently working on with another voice of small-town America. Maybe I will be able to post that next week if things calm down a little bit.  Today I am compelled to talk about the right to free speech.  That issue is important to me and I am thinking that it is important to you as well. Do you know one single American who does not cherish the right to say what he or she wants to say? Do we not all want to be heard?  I used to joke that it was a good thing that I didn’t live during the times of the Salem witch trials because I would have been burned at the stake, hung, or dunked repeatedly into some slime covered pond for sure – just because I would not have been able to keep my opinions to myself.  I am not going to joke about that today.

Here’s the thing.  It seems that those in power at the moment, such as several Big Tech “platforms”, are taking every opportunity to erase each voice that may disagree with the thinking of the currently “self-proclaimed to be popular” stance on things. In contrast – others -- not in this inner circle -- might see this position as a rather condescending and clueless elitist attitude. Have you noticed how bossy and pushy these people are?  They are really appallingly narrow and/or close minded… so disappointing.  It’s like they are afraid to hear what others may have to say. What are they so afraid of?  To think that I remember the day when liberal meant open-minded.  My how language evolves over time. Yep – I am getting older every minute….

Anyway – back to the point –these days any comment on a matter… or each comment that does not meet or further a certain agenda is just simply erased.  Poof… gone….  What is that agenda? The answer to that question is also frightening.  Now I realize that these powerful companies are privately owned and can do pretty much what they want to do, but I thought it meant something when they advertised themselves as forums where people could express and exchange ideas within certain limits. (Obviously no one can yell fire in a closed theater… that kind of thing.)  What is most amazing to me is that few people are saying much about the current state of affairs.  Is this because they, too, think that they will be “punished” in some way if they express their dismay, horror, or disbelief that this could happen in the United States of America? How can it be possible these tyrants have removed themselves so much from us common folk that they now exist in some isolated bubble that does not embrace any sense of what it is like in the world that is not elitist or entitled?  The condescension of these people is most unpalatable. And... the thing is… they don’t get it at all.  It is a do as I say, not as I do mentality. You can see this in other touchy areas in these times as well.  Sad really… and… somewhat infuriating.   Further – what is really amazing to me is that many of these people don’t see their own condescension. They think they are entitled to do whatever they want to do because they are in the catbird seat at the moment. They are enjoying having the upper hand. I call it the Marie Antoinette syndrome. I think that inability to take a look at a broader view is what is most dangerous. 

I realize as this rant comes to and end that -- in some sense I am entitled too...but in a different sense of the word.   I am entitled to think and to say whatever I want to think and to say.  You know what? You are too.  We all are. Let’s celebrate that.  I promise you this.  Even if I disagree with you, I cherish your rights to think and say what you want as much as I do my own. Further – even if I disagree with you, I will not hate you or try to “cancel” you.  There is room for a fair exchange of ideas – this is America after all.

All that being said, if my Facebook page suddenly disappears or Blogspot, owned by Google, drops my blog… you will know what has happened.  I am small potatoes, but these days – who knows. These bullies have big, fat, heavy… and … dirty boots.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment