Thursday, July 14, 2016

It seemed like a good idea at the time....

We have all had them.  Brainstorms. Brilliant ideas.  In retrospect, however... maybe not. It is at this point that an ability to laugh at oneself becomes important as you work to fix "it" or deal with "it" -- whatever "it" may be. 

As an example, consider the time I mailed all my income tax documents to an accountant and they were lost in the USPS for over a month.  I had to have all the necessary documents reissued and then -- both packets arrived at the accountant's office on the same day.  

Or ---  like the time I paid my federal taxes by credit card and didn't notice for over a year that my card was never billed.  I found out when the USPS notified me that my tax return had been found in a mail bag of lost mail somewhere on the east coast and that they had made everything right with the IRS. 

It isn't always the USPS though. Those examples just came to mind first. And --sometimes the situations are really less important than taxes. This week my dilemma involved rehanging a wall unit to charge my weed-whacker.  All I succeeded in doing was making an even bigger, nastier looking hole in the drywall of my garage.  Of course if I had done it right in the first place, all damage could have been avoided. Fortunately my dog-eared how to fix anything book (for dummies) gave good instructions on how to repair the damage.  What I am wondering is why I didn't look up how to do this "project" in the first place -- you know -- before I messed up that section of the wall?  

Why is it that if I can see a picture of how a finished project is supposed to look, I think that I don't need to read and follow the instructions?  Theories?  Is this an inherited trait -- or do I just need to blame myself?

Oh, by the way -- the weed-whacker is now charging on the floor of my garage. I plan to figure out how to hang the charger on the wall very soon now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment