Thursday, September 17, 2015

Facebook for Boomers?

Primarily as a way to broadcast my blog, I joined Facebook about a year ago. Now, at times, I wish everyone I know belonged. I have found Facebook to be enlightening, surprising, funny, and - to be totally honest - sometimes I have found it to be a little offensive. Nevertheless, I have learned a few important tidbits of information, reconnected with friends, laughed, and sometimes been so touched that I have cried for people I know and... for some I have never met. All things considered, I am glad that I signed up.  Never one to want to miss something, I check in almost every day to see what is going on. I am rarely disappointed. For sure this particular social media works "on several different levels". 

Take the past few days, for example....  I have seen more than a few family and pet postings that bring a smile, plenty of "newsy" updates on the goings-on of others, funny and not so funny videos gone viral, and tidbits from politicians and businesses. Using a blast from the past phrase, "It's all good." I must admit though that I do find myself playing favorites.  I love, for example, when people share actual photographs of things they made or are proud of.  It is just plain good and healthy for people to be able to take pride in things they have accomplished and/or value.  I also enjoy the "photos of quotes" that people "share"  -- the ones that make statements about the human condition, current events or national news are on the top of my list.  I confess that sometimes the snarky ones are especially appealing to me. For example the one posting that says something like "If you read it on the Internet, you know it's true.  Abraham Lincoln." It seems to be all in good fun... for the most part. One nice thing about Facebook is that you can ignore or make disappear the posts that aggravate you. I have no problem disregarding what I don't want to deal with.  Facebook makes it very easy to do so...unlike other parts of the "real" world.  At this "stage of the game" we all know about that sort of thing - both the ignoring and the getting rid of....

Now here is my Facebook dilemma of the moment.  I read a little "shared photo" this week entitled "ATM Pin Number Reversal...".  The blurb explains that if you are ever taken against your will to an ATM machine and forced to enter your pin-- try to remember (in all the hubbub and terror) to enter your pin backwards. The ATM will not only give you the money you asked for but also, notify the police that you are being robbed.  Meanwhile -- the ATM is busily recording everything. Obviously -- although I have found out through a little detective work that most ATM's are not set up to do this (although they apparently could be), you can see why I don't want to test this myself.
The more I think about it... there is another problem here as well.  I have enough trouble remembering my ATM pin # as it is, and I am not sure that I can translate it into backwards in my head in time. I mean -- it's not like my pin # is 1234 which easily translates into 4231-- oops - 4321.. (I can't remember my license plate number either.) Actually I haven't heard of any ATM robberies in my town anyway -- merely thinking of the "just in case" scenario, and... I am curious. I also like to think that I am prepared.  It's sort of like putting your cell phone on your nightstand or putting the spare car keys in a handy drawer so that you can set off the car alarm if need be when you hear a series of bumps in the night. It's like remembering to have your keys in your hand when walking to your car so you aren't digging around in your purse while someone approaches you from behind.  Ah -- the joys of living in 2015.... "The Times, they are a changin...."  Now if you remember those lyrics from the early 60's or thereabouts, you are definitely a Boomer and totally get all of this.  Good thing we adapt so well to change. Argh... We have had a lot of changes to deal with for sure.  We have been adapting for a long time now.

"Come gather round people/Wherever you roam/And admit that the waters/Around you have grown...."  Are you singing Bob Dylan words in your head?  I am thinking that you might be....  And so... you know how the rest of the song goes....

Hope to see you on Facebook...and have a good week.   

1 comment:

  1. Post happy. Keeping in touch is a benefit of FB. I have too many PIN #s and passwords! And Jill is usually looking for her phone while I'm looking for my keys :-) maybe we should start Wrinkled Facebook.

    ReplyDelete