Thursday, August 27, 2015

Overnight at Nana's House

School is starting the day this blog "goes live", so this past weekend was the last chance that I had to keep a promise I had made to my two local grandkids that they could stay overnight again before the end of summer vacation.  Why I made this promise, I will never understand. Maybe it is because they are so cute, so well-behaved, so wonderful....  Nevertheless, I have to say that I wonder if I am alone in this but... I have mixed emotions about overnights with grandkids.  It isn't them; it's me.  Take last night, for example. My two little grandkids arrived with toys and pillows in hand and huge smiles on their faces. It doesn't get any better than those smiles.  They were through the door and into "their" rooms as quickly as can be -- busily getting their areas arranged. They exude a lovely (and exhausting) energy. It makes me tired even to think about it.  Wish I could borrow some of it.  The dog, lest I neglect to mention her, came with them, of course. We (the dog and I) share the kids -- only they are more hers than mine.  She sleeps on the floor between their rooms when they are here.  Personally, if I were the dog, I think I would have snuck up onto the couch after Nana dozed off, but not the Lovely Luna....  she is the guard dog to end all guard dogs where her little people are concerned. Guess I am not the only one to sleep/not sleep with one eye open and ears alert all night. 

So anyway -- by the time the kids had settled in their 35 stuffed animals, etc. (pardon the exaggeration, there were probably only 30), it was time for the dinner I had also promised -- which involved a short drive to a neighboring town for the Chinese food which we all love.  So after the unpacking  -- we were off to our favorite Chinese restaurant. The children had perfect restaurant manners and we were all smiling as we left for home with our leftovers.  Then came a movie that we had all been waiting to see.  One of their favorite people had given them the DVD of HOME, and we settled in to share the experience.  That too was wonderful.  I found myself smiling most of the way through and clapping enthusiastically with my four-year-old granddaughter at the happy ending. (My eight-year-old grandson just looked at us...)  Anyway -- shortly thereafter, they both went right to bed and I never heard another peep out of them until morning - in the predawn hours. Anyway -- you must/may be wondering by now what my problem is. Well... here's the thing.  Sleep is not one of my personal "talents", and when the little ones are here, I barely sleep at all.  I leave little lights on all over the place in case they get up in the night.  I don't want them to be afraid or anything.... Then all throughout the night I listen with renewed attention to noises and hear all these strange sounds that I simply do not remember ever hearing before. I find myself sitting up in bed or padding around in the semi-dark trying to find the source of the sound.  Good grief!  I am exhausted by morning.  I am exhausted just typing words about the experience. Please understand, as well, that all of this Nana behavior is actually an improvement. When these kids were babies and spending the night, I would sleep on the floor next to the crib so I could hear them breathe.  Am I alone in all of this?  Is there anyone else out there who exhibits this same nutty behavior?  Please tell me that I am not alone.  Ah -- the joys of "grandparenting".  

All of this overnight stuff and my nana behavior being explored a bit, I simply must say that I do so love being a Nana.  It is the best gift ever- even if it does tire me out once in a while.  These kids will be invited to stay again and, of course, the Lovely Luna will be invited as well.  I can sleep later.  They are growing up way too quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment