Thursday, December 4, 2014

Best laid plans of mice and men...

Sometimes plans (and life)  just take a different direction than anticipated. I had been working on two blog posts -- one on winter weather in Northwest Pennsylvania (there is plenty of time for that one yet) and another post on what seems to be the early arrival of December and a rapidly approaching Holiday season.  Then -- I took a break to check Facebook and found a short video clip of my seven year old grandson trying to remove the second of his two front teeth. It had been hanging by a "thread" for an annoyingly long time.  I just simply have to tell you about the process.  

In the video he is sitting on the couch next to his little sister who is, of all things, watching him while calmly eating popcorn.  She's right -- he is a show (so is she; they just don't know it). Anyway  -- this is his approach....  Using dental floss, he has tied his tooth to a Nerf bullet which he then loads into a Nerf gun and pulls the trigger.  He does this three times. Two of the three times that spongy "bullet" comes flying back, hits him on the top of the head, and bounces back into his lap -- a perfect soft ricochet. The third time I don't know where it goes. (By this time I am laughing so hard that I can't keep my eyes open.)  At this point the tooth is barely attached and it is a simple matter to just give it a little tug to remove it. What is there to say?  My grandson definitely has a flare for the dramatic.  My granddaughter finds him most amusing.  She is not alone.  I, of course, find both the tooth puller and the popcorn eater amusing. 

The thing is -- there is something very touching about this whole "adventure".  He is a courageous and creative young man, but just before he pulls the trigger of the Nerf gun, he reaches over to grab his Mom's hand.  He doesn't say anything, just reaches out to her.  I must admit, I find watching this whole process hysterically funny and... extremely touching.  Who says you can't laugh and cry at the same time?  Not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment