Saturday, November 29, 2014

More Thoughts on Thanksgiving...

I had been thinking about topics for this week's blog for several days when it suddenly occurred to me that perhaps I should consider writing about Thanksgiving. After all -- this post will go live on Thanksgiving Day or shortly thereafter.  Now -- here is the dilemma... what could I possibly say that has not already been said and well said about Thanksgiving?  Certainly there are many wonderful stories written about childhood memories and about time spent with relatives and friends here and no longer here. Thanksgiving tales abound. Wonderful tales. Hallmark movies have been made. There are enumerable things about which to be thankful, and I agree that it is important to stop and think once in a while about how truly blessed we are. Seriously....  Yet...

Not wanting to go over topics already so thoroughly explored -- I decided that I just simply have to tell you that in many ways Thanksgiving is my favorite of all holidays.  I love the gathering of the clan and sometimes friends too; I love the relaxed, no presents day.  I even like to glance at the big parade from time to time throughout the morning.  But -- second only to having time with my family --  I think I like the aromas of preparation.  The feast is yummy, of course, but the smells of early morning Monkey bread, followed by the aromas of stuffing preparation and then roasting turkey -- there are no adequate adjectives to describe the mouth-watering, yet welcoming, homey feeling of that particular meal. My kids always comment on that feeling when they arrive for the day.  I like that -- it is what I was going for all along...that welcoming, homey feeling.  ... Yep -- so much for which to be thankful... and let's not forget to include the leftovers in that....   
                                                                                                                          Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment