Thursday, April 11, 2024

Turn Around

A total eclipse of the sun is a once in a lifetime thing and all, and before I actually witnessed it, I was not sure that I understood all the hoopla about it.  Someone told me that the one hotel and at least one of the BnBs in town were entirely booked months ahead of time. They saw it in the local newspaper apparently. It was expected all through the path of the eclipse that there would be an influx of people coming in to witness and they did. There were streets blocked off and parties all over the place.  Here -- a man at the grocery store told me that his neighbor had rented out space in his back yard at $50/tent. The upcoming eclipse was all over social media and TV news programs. It became a "happening".  I began to appreciate that apparently, for a lot people, a total eclipse is a really big deal. Pre-eclipse me, on the other hand, figured it would get dark for a few minutes and then it would get light again. And that is exactly what happened, but... the thing is... it became a really big deal for me too.  It was more than I anticipated.  It was awesome and I shared the experience with most special people and that made it even better. Bonus.  The gradual darkness, the sounds and the stillness, the excited voices off in the distance, the slow return to bright sunlight ... sort of a fresh start somehow.  

Also note worthy though - at least to me -- is the scientific explanation and random speculation about the meaning of it all. Science teachers, at all levels from elementary school through the graduate level had a heyday with the opportunity to explain and teach. I am happy for them. Interesting info there.  I read reports and listened to interviews. Good stuff.  I also read speculation about portals opening and still can’t understand what people are thinking, and there were other sorts of unusual (some might even say weird) things too. In addition -- on a most serious level, there were those who wondered about Biblical prophecy as well and had come to believe that the world would end in those few moments.  I hope they were not too disappointed that it did not.  At my age I have lost count of the number of times that some have predicted the end of the world. 

Perhaps people just need to have something different, extraordinary once in a while and, when it has passed, simply know that they will come out the other side of it just fine. I think people also relish an amazing shared experience that was unanticipated. I am thankful for it.

```

The thing is, after all is said and done and looking back on the pre-eclipse me, I am also wondering what is the matter with me? In anticipation of the eclipse, I had a song from the 80's replaying in my head.  Remember Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart"? I think of it as the "Turn Around" song.  Then as I watched news coverage from Indianapolis where NASA had set up one of their fancy telescopes, that song was playing loudly in the background and the newscaster even mentioned it.   What?  Are you singing it right now?  


No comments:

Post a Comment