Monday, November 13, 2023

Beware of the Phubber

I learned a new word today, so... of course I had to share it.  Those of you who have been reading this blog for a while, know that I am compelled to share new stuff about language... especially if the word has developed recently and strikes me as a perfect descriptor of our world, although I do love old, even antiquated, words as well -- if they are fun to say out loud.

It appears that this word appeared between 2010 and 2015 as a result of an experiment of sorts. Picture this.  A bunch of lexicographers, authors and poets got together to make a new word that is a combination of phone and snub. Now exactly why they set about to do this, I have no idea.  Perhaps it was because a new word was necessary to describe a relatively new, (annoying) phenomenon.  I do love the result of their work.

Picture sitting at the dinner table with a group of adults -- some of whom are on their phones ignoring the rest of the people there, or call to mind trying to talk to a grandchild while they are thumb texting.  The situations are endless and I know that you have been there.  We all have... and we know how it feels. Right?

The word?  

                    PHUB 

                                                [fuhb] verb

I think it's perfect.  

Definition: to ignore a person or one's surroundings when in a social situation by busying oneself with a phone or other mobile device.

Personally I find phubbing disturbing. Look around.  It's everywhere.  I am especially flummoxed by the situation where a person is phubbing while walking in the street.  Stupidity at its best.  Ah -- Flummoxed by Phubbing.  Say that five times real fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment