Thursday, November 24, 2022

Abenaki

For some reason, I find myself fascinated with the word Abenaki... maybe it is because I find it fun to say out loud. Or -- maybe it is because I think my land may be haunted by members of traveling Abenaki pushed west by European settlers of long ago. They began to intermingle with other Native American tribes of this region by that point in time. Either way -- language has always been a personal interest. I have personal faves. A case in point -- my favorite French word is parapluie. When you say it out loud the "r" sort of catches in the back of your throat.  Again -- so fun to say out loud -- much preferable to the word in English -- umbrella -- although there is something to be said for that word as well. 

American English seems to have borrowed words from all over the place. Around here -- many words have come from the languages of Native Americans -- like the word Succotash, one of my Mom's personal faves -- the food, not the word.  The word actually comes from the Narragansett Indian word msickquatash which means boiled corn. Say that five times real fast. Are you bored yet?

It is fun to know though that other languages have borrowed from us as we have from them.  Popular in France today is the French word "le weekend".  Obviously we share well. Good to know. From time to time, some of you, knowing how I am about words, have shared your favorites with me as well.  Thank you for that. And now -- moving a bit awkwardly from that idea to my most important idea of the day....

Your sharing with me is just one of the many things I am thankful for on this Thanksgiving Day.  I am blessed with family and friends, and then there are the many seemingly small, but yet important, things and moments ... and ... so much more.  I am Thankful for all my blessings ... almost overwhelming thankful.  Happy Thanksgiving to all! So much for which to be thankful. You included.

Happy Thanksgiving! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment