Thursday, September 29, 2022

You Learn Something New Every Day

The thing is, now that I am on the back side of the course, it is, for some unexplainable reason important for me to know that I can learn new things.  I like the occasional challenge -- like learning a new crochet stitch or figuring out how to translate what my kids or grandkids are talking about into something that I can sort of understand. (It somehow diminishes me to have to ask them to explain. I mean, after all, I am the one who helped teach them how to talk and not to touch "burny, burny" hot things. ) 

The thing is -- a lot of things in life do not change from generation to generation really. Younger generations just talk about whatever it is differently.  Well, that and they wear different fabrics and their boots don't leak.  Although ... I am noticing these days that eye glasses that I found unattractive in the 1950's are still unattractive to me in the 2022's. (Further -- If the "Cat's Eye" look in eyeglass style ever comes back, I am not sure that I will cope well.) Anyway ... back to the "how we talk about it" aspect of all of this ....

Recently, for some unknown reason I was exploring a post from "Weird History" and discovered that not only is "overmorrow" the 
word for the day after tomorrow, but also that "crapulence" is the word for that sick feeling you get after eating too much. I find both words to be a good fit for what they describe and although I probably will not add them to my vocabulary, they remind me that you do learn something every day.  I think that is a good thing really. Curiosity doesn't always kill the cat. I wonder where that phrase came from?  



  


No comments:

Post a Comment