Thursday, June 30, 2022

Another brief list...

 

Sometimes I have a hard time thinking of an idea about which to write, and when that happens, I sometimes make lists of questions for which I want answers or of ideas I don’t understand.  That being said, and since we are so close to a big holiday and all I want to do is goof around, I am going to write down a list of a few things I don’t understand completely or about which I am thinking.  You know – from a Boomer’s point of view – not that Boomers all think alike, because for sure we do not.  How boring it would be if we did. Right?

So first of all, I don’t understand the word meta.  If meta refers to ”when something refers back to or is about itself, like a book about books or a meme about memes”, then why did Mark Zuckerberg rename Facebook "Meta"? Hopefully there is another meaning or.. it seems Zuckerberg is saying that everyone of Facebook is about one's own face or about him or herself alone and that isn't my experience on that platform. Some research is required.  But then also…  how does "metaverse" fit in with all of this? Further... how do Snap Chat, Twitter, Rumble, and Instagram, etc. actually work? Do I need to know this? I find it all as confusing as Bitcoin.

Along similar lines, why is a podcast called a podcast?  I get the cast part, but not the pod.  Moving on....

Who is making the most money by continuing to generate and fan the fears of global warming, and/or another global pandemic?  What kind of a person is it who is all about control of others? It must be lonely to have no friends.

Why is it that some people have no concept of safe and unsafe places in the world? Why is it that some people have no concept of stupid?

Why is it that the pronouns he and she are no longer enough and why can they not be used in gender-fluid situations? Further – what exactly does gender-fluid mean? There is a whole language in this realm -- all totally new to me and which I do not understand. 

On a related matter – why is it that no matter how hard I try, I cannot always remember what letters come after LGB? Honestly -- I don’t think about it a lot, but I know it matters to many people, and think I should be able to rattle off all the letters fluently like the "talking heads" do and better yet -- maybe even know what they mean. It is PRIDE month after all. That I do know.

Finally -- is television on the way out? 

This particular list now at an end – hopefully I will put together a better blog for next week. Or perhaps I will take a vacation.  In the meantime, Happy 4th!  Celebrate America! It is the land of the free where diversity and tolerance count. Right? Now that is worthy of celebration. We need to hang on to those values. We need a break from intolerance, hatred and violence.   All of us.  

Again... wishing you a peaceful and happy Independence Day. Celebrate that on this day in 1776, the Declaration of Independence established for the first time in world history a new nation based on, among other things, the rule of law, specific unalienable rights, limited government, and equality. Thankful here to live in a United States of America founded on these principles. I wish you safe and happy celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment