Thursday, November 18, 2021

Short and Sweet...


More than one of my friends have mentioned, from time to time, that they wanted to text or call me, but then realized that it was too late in the day -- even though most normal people would just be getting their second wind. What can I say?  I go to bed early.  Usually up between 3 AM and 4 AM, I am ready for sleep by early evening. I am a morning person. Plus -- it's all about quiet, uncomplicated time. When I was in college I slept in two shifts just so I could have this quiet time. College dorms are not quiet places. I need quiet. I have always needed quiet.

Here's the thing. Time in the predawn hours is not only silent, it is remarkably peaceful. Uncomplicated. About the only sound I hear is the coffee maker and the clicking of the keyboard as I write. If it's cold, I start the fire in the fireplace behind me... so there are those sounds as well.  If I am lucky the occasional owl off in the distance lets me know that it, too, is awake. I like that owl and its haunting hoots. (I like to think that it winters in my little barn.) Anyway -- I can think.  I can watch the sun come up ... a reminder that each day is a new beginning.  Sometimes it is important to think about that.  I am thankful for the start of a new day.  Aren't we all?

The predawn hours are a healing lull before the world comes crashing in.  It is my time. I claim it. Plus - I couldn't sleep in if you paid me... so there is that.  I am who I am. What can I say? I have a suspicion that I am not alone in this. Someone told me once that you need less sleep as you get older.  Not sure that age has anything to do with sleep.  I just know that peaceful silence is a blessing for sure... at any age.


No comments:

Post a Comment