Thursday, July 15, 2021

Gatherer of Small Treasures

 

Not unlike those poignant moments in time that I wrote about a couple of weeks ago are the little treasures I have gathered over time. They, too, would not be important to others, but for me – they are meaningful because of the memories they bring back and in doing that, they capture moments in time – bits and pieces.  I know, for a fact, that I am not the only gatherer of treasures in this world. I see them in other’s homes as well. Perhaps they are what make a house a home. Perhaps they are an important part of living.

I can stand in one spot in my kitchen and see many of these cherished valuables – like half of a black walnut shell that looks like a monkey’s face. I figure it brings me good luck.  Don’t know why. Then there is the branch that would make a fine support for a macramé wall hanging (if I ever get to that). More significant are the cracked crock that holds small sticks and twigs collected by my grandson when he was a toddler --  and -- the invaluable rocks on my window sill that were painted painstakingly by my granddaughter when she was 7 or 8. The list goes on and on.

These treasures span generations of family.  Always on display somewhere is the mini totem painted by one of my kids years ago.  The other day I ran across an evening bag that had belonged to my Aunt Doris – back in the day when people carried evening bags.  I think people used to go to fancy gatherings more back then.  I cannot think of one single place that I would need a beaded evening bag these days.  Or maybe it is just that I wouldn’t want to go to them – it could be that.  I am just not a dress-up and wear uncomfortable shoes person. 

One of my most favorite treasures is a small, clear florist’s vase that holds many of the oil painting brushes that my Mom used.  In the bottom of the vase are the tiny tacks she would use when stretching canvas onto a frame.  I love these brushes, etc. Her little tack hammer is my favorite Mom memento. I saw her using that little hammer off and on throughout my entire life.  I miss her. I actually put two of these mini "art" collections together so that my sister could have one too.  She also was a gatherer of treasures. Big Time. I miss her too – every single day. Thinking of her brings to mind a lot of other important treasure pieces -- priceless – like the small bracelet she took off her arm and gave to me one time, a long time ago, when I admired it. I also keep a small note that she wrote to me several years ago on my desk where I can see it every day. It reads "Just because... 😁".

Perhaps the most impressive display for a visitor though is a full printer’s box repurposed to hold a tiny treasure in each little box.  This hangs on one wall in my kitchen and holds everything from hand painted thimbles to old Star Wars figures, a PEZ dispenser or two, and wooden Play Mobile people that I used to dread stepping on. (They are almost as pain inducing as Lego blocks.) Each item brings back memories of my kids’ childhoods or of special moments of some sort. On another wall across the room are some of my Dad’s sleigh bells that I found in his barn. They should not be in the barn gathering bat dust; that’s for sure.

Add a lifetime of photos, letters, school papers, children’s drawings and it is an amazing collection.  I am blessed.  Put everything together, in any order at all, and they tell the stories of my life. I have surrounded myself with amazing treasures.  They may not be as protective as a rabbit’s foot or other type of talisman, but these assorted finds are important each in its own way.  I don’t think I have a favorite, but the envelopes I have of my children’s hair from their first haircuts, each lock carefully wrapped in tissue paper that has yellowed over the years, are serious contenders for sure.

I think such “valuables” are a part of the human condition.  It doesn’t matter where in the world you live, what language you speak or what color skin you have. I like to think that we all are gatherings of the treasures of our lives – just some of the details are different.  I hope so anyway…. Similarities... parallels... both make connections.  Maybe the world needs to keep this bond in mind.  It might help alleviate some of the pressure of these times. Ultimately, we are all in this together. Right?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment