Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Thanksgiving 2020

 Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

This will be a memorable one for sure... in different ways of course. But... no matter how you prepare, or who is at your table, there are a good many things for which to be thankful.  We all know that deep down.  Sometimes we just have to look little harder. Sometimes we look through tears at the beginning of the search, and some days are more difficult than others because we have to drag ourselves through the sludge to get to the surface. It has been that kind of year - for the whole world.

Personally I start with being thankful for my wonderful family. Then after a time of acknowledging the many positives of my daily life, I move on to the sometimes surprising gifts... simple things like an unexpected smile from behind a stranger's mask (the secret in this is to watch the wrinkles around the eyes. Try it. Smile back, or better yet -- smile first. We all need smiles.) Anyway -- you don't have to look far really. You just have to set your course to find the good things.  There are a lot there. I have found too many "gifts" to even begin to count. The gifts I find, don't cost anything.  They are to be discovered in people -- in their hope and in their kindness -- and in their spirit and humor.  I am Thankful with a capital T. As for the darker "stuff"... well... since I know there isn't much I can do about it,  I try to ignore it as much as possible --  to put it on a shelf somewhere for later or … never. 

I try to remember to remind myself to look every single day and to make a mental list of all the good things -- to be thankful. For me it is a good way to move through a day.  Every day is then a Thanksgiving of a sort.  It isn't always easy, perhaps especially in these times, but... so worth the effort. Personally sometimes I think the whole world is seriously trying to count their blessings . There are glimmers here and there. Other days? Well, not so much.

For now...  Hope you are all having a wonderful Thanksgiving Day!


1 comment: