Thursday, April 9, 2015

Wonders of the World

I am so confused. When "looking up" the seven wonders of the world to make sure that I remembered them all, I couldn't even find the list that I knew  -- that I grew up knowing. I was positive that Niagara Falls was on that list and I could not find it anywhere. Actually there are several lists now - the Ancient wonders of the world, the Industrial wonders of the world, and the Man-made wonders are just three of them. Several countries, not to be outdone, have their own lists and I don't blame them. To be sure -- the world is full of wonders.  All this got me to thinking.  If a country can make up its own list, what's to stop a state or a city or a village... or me?   Nothing.

So naturally -- I am working on my own list, my own wonders ... and there will probably more than seven. If you think about it, I bet you have your own wonders too.  I want to tell you about two of mine.  They are not in any special order.
  • My granddaughter plays the harmonica.  She is four.  When she plays, she closes her eyes and her little face becomes all dark eyelashes.  She plays softly -- the music - hauntingly beautiful.  From where does this come? When she finishes her "song", she opens her eyes and smiles. It's wondrous.  
  • My grandson has a green belt in Karate.  He is eight. He is so serious about his Karate that I have to fight back tears when I watch him practice, his face so serious, his movements so deliberate --  a leggy, little boy yet to grow into his hands, his feet,... his ears. In his careful practice, you get a hint of the man he is to be.  It's wondrous.
The more I get into this, the more I recommend making such a list.  Maybe it is always the small moments that we need to remember in order to capture the bigger memories that develop into our own Personal wonders of the world. We do so need to remember.  It would be such a shame to lose all of this that becomes part of the wonder of our lives.            




2 comments:

  1. I was involved a few years ago on a campaign to create a list of Seven Wonders of Scotland. The Wonders were chosen and then voted on by members of the public. I remember what a positive experience this was for everyone involved. And what a good idea to create your own list. Everyone has something to be thankful for.

    Raymond @ CKS Global Solutions LTD

    ReplyDelete